Chicken Breed Focus - Serama

IMG952158.jpg
Looking to replace our Serama Roo. I'd prefer a juvenile to hand raise but will happily adopt a adult. Any suggestions?
UPDATE: Picking up a handsome man from the same breeder this weekend!

I have a pair and just love them. I could write a children's book about their behavior and their adventures - like when the roo disappeared. I knew there was a problem because he never goes anywhere without the little hen...I heard him crowing and finally found him in a hedgerow, far from the house and the other chickens. I can only think that a predator got him (a hawk, maybe?) and then dropped him.
Two of my standard chicks fell out of their nest box and seemed like they didn't know how to get back into it. The Serama roo sat with them - honest to God - until I put them back. The little hen hatched out her chicks yesterday - I can't wait to see him with his babies!

I'm sure the people at work get tired of hearing about my chickens (but they benefit from the eggs). But as soon as the hen and chicks were out of the nest, the little roo went right over and stood near them. When I went to look at them, he stood between me and his babies. I have never seen chickens behave like that!

Also - someone was talking about the little eggs - I don't particularly like hard boiled eggs but my husband does. Before I decided to let her set, I used to hard boil a pot of Serama eggs - they make great one-bite snacks! My boss used some to make Eggs Benedict - said they fit perfectly on English muffins.

They are beautiful, Trimurtisan. I've never heard of a Pyncheon, I have to look them up.

My little Serama hen hatched out 7 chicks (100% hatch rate!). Unfortunately lost 2 but the others are doing well. So tiny! I cannot get over the behavior of the rooster. He stays with his "family" all of the time, except at night, when she takes the babies into the nest box I made for her, and he goes up to a perch - the one closest to the nest, every night.
Last week, I heard a strange screechy noise and ran outside - it was the rooster, because one of the babies had got separated from the rest of the family. The baby went back to the others and he stopped yelling. Truly amazing chickens.

Do any other roosters behave like that? I've never seen one take any interest in the babies.

They are beautiful, Trimurtisan. I've never heard of a Pyncheon, I have to look them up.

My little Serama hen hatched out 7 chicks (100% hatch rate!). Unfortunately lost 2 but the others are doing well. So tiny! I cannot get over the behavior of the rooster. He stays with his "family" all of the time, except at night, when she takes the babies into the nest box I made for her, and he goes up to a perch - the one closest to the nest, every night.
Last week, I heard a strange screechy noise and ran outside - it was the rooster, because one of the babies had got separated from the rest of the family. The baby went back to the others and he stopped yelling. Truly amazing chickens.

Do any other roosters behave like that? I've never seen one take any interest in the babies.
Congratulations on the new babies! I bet they are tiny! Do you have a picture you could post?

What a good daddy! I might be wrong, but I don't think roosters acting like that is very common, at all.

I was not familiar with the Pyncheon breed either. I went to a specialty breeder to get a couple of Ayam Cemani and she also had Pyncheon there. It's a natural bantam, but for a project she was working on, she crossed it to her Seramas. They actuall look almost just like the picture I posted above, just a bit bigger. Annie is actually my 5 year old son's chicken, and she is super sweet. Even more "tame" than our Seramas.

We have 8 Serama, three 6 week olds and five 7 week olds. I hatched them from eggs I got from 2 different breeders.

We have 3 cockerels and 5 pullets. 2 of the 3 cockerels were in the 3 egg hatch. I love how early, and easy, they are to sex. It was very easy to tell within the first few weeks, and there were a couple we knew from day one. Refreshing after Silkies!

Our favorite is Thor (7weeks old), he’s been quick to develop from the start. This past weekend he decided to take up crowing. Or attempts to crow, rather. He isn’t very good at it yet. Here he is competing with one of our older chickens. Our Showgirl, who should also give up at crowing, omg so bad at it lol.

Anyway, fun little birds. I have more in the incubator to hatch Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom