1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken breed question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by domromer, May 26, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I'm rasing 2 barred rocks and 2 red sussexs. The reds are very calm and like to be handled. They are also a lot bigger than the rocks. Which are very flighty and don't like to be held at all. Have other owners of these breeds noticed similar traits?

2. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I have two barred rocks who are about 7 weeks old. Queenie, the dominant pullet so far, likes to be held & is very friendly, although this is a new development. She was pretty shy until about a week ago. She will now jump up in my lap and snuggle down for a nap & even allow me to pet her and hold her. Here sister, though, is still very shy & stays to herself except for the occasional "roost" on my leg if they're stretched out while I'm sitting in the run. In my experience so far, the buff orpingtons are the friendliest breed, but barred rocks can also be very friendly once you lure them with lots of treats & kind words.

How old are your girls? Mind didn't really start being cuddly until about 6 weeks.

3. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    they are 10 days old

4. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Oh.... well, they will be afraid of you for awhile. [​IMG] At least mine were-- when you start giving them treats at 4 weeks or so, they'll get the picture & begin to warm up. You're big. They're little. You can't tell much about how friendly they will be yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by