chicken breed question

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
I'm rasing 2 barred rocks and 2 red sussexs. The reds are very calm and like to be handled. They are also a lot bigger than the rocks. Which are very flighty and don't like to be held at all. Have other owners of these breeds noticed similar traits?

I have two barred rocks who are about 7 weeks old. Queenie, the dominant pullet so far, likes to be held & is very friendly, although this is a new development. She was pretty shy until about a week ago. She will now jump up in my lap and snuggle down for a nap & even allow me to pet her and hold her. Here sister, though, is still very shy & stays to herself except for the occasional "roost" on my leg if they're stretched out while I'm sitting in the run. In my experience so far, the buff orpingtons are the friendliest breed, but barred rocks can also be very friendly once you lure them with lots of treats & kind words.

How old are your girls? Mind didn't really start being cuddly until about 6 weeks.

Oh.... well, they will be afraid of you for awhile.
smile.png
At least mine were-- when you start giving them treats at 4 weeks or so, they'll get the picture & begin to warm up. You're big. They're little. You can't tell much about how friendly they will be yet!

Back
Top Bottom