Chicken breeding/inbreeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi guys!

Just curious here, since I'm a long way from this [​IMG].

Let' say you want to sell eggs from a certain strain of a certain breed, but you only have a pair of those and it's really hard to find any others. Really, though, a trio would be better.. although that doesn't seem like an option here. Could you: breed the pair together, keep the chicks, then breed them back to dad or bros <inbreeding>? Or is that just asking for trouble? It would only be one generation of inbreeding, since all you are really looking to keep are a few more hens/roos, and aren't looking for a longterm improvement on the breed (sorry.. I love them but have no idea what the standard is. I think it would be wrong of me to try).

Or.. alternatively, would it be better to breed to a different strain in the same breed? And if so, how long before these new chickens are considered "purebred" (if ever.. although I had read people do do this).

Maybe to give you a better idea, I'm talking about my Blue splash d'Anvers. I have the pair, which is GREAT! But someone talked about doing a swap here on BYC, and I realized that I can't really swap the eggs, since I won't have enough fresh ones at one time to ship! I think I might be able to find a black (although.. not so sure), and definitely some quail.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Meghan

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks! Makes sense.

Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by