Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Hi guys!

Just curious here, since I'm a long way from this
smile.png

Let' say you want to sell eggs from a certain strain of a certain breed, but you only have a pair of those and it's really hard to find any others. Really, though, a trio would be better.. although that doesn't seem like an option here. Could you: breed the pair together, keep the chicks, then breed them back to dad or bros <inbreeding>? Or is that just asking for trouble? It would only be one generation of inbreeding, since all you are really looking to keep are a few more hens/roos, and aren't looking for a longterm improvement on the breed (sorry.. I love them but have no idea what the standard is. I think it would be wrong of me to try).

Or.. alternatively, would it be better to breed to a different strain in the same breed? And if so, how long before these new chickens are considered "purebred" (if ever.. although I had read people do do this).

Maybe to give you a better idea, I'm talking about my Blue splash d'Anvers. I have the pair, which is GREAT! But someone talked about doing a swap here on BYC, and I realized that I can't really swap the eggs, since I won't have enough fresh ones at one time to ship! I think I might be able to find a black (although.. not so sure), and definitely some quail.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Meghan

Back
Top Bottom