Chicken breeding

If I have many breeds of chickens in one flock and roosters from every breed can I breed one breed of chicken purely if I separate them from the flock?

You can breed them purely if you separate one breed in a pen by their selves. Say you have barred rocks, rhode island red, buff orpingtons, and delawares. if you have all these different breed hens and just put one type of rooster say the barred rock then you will get pure barred rocks and barred rock mixes. Hope this makes sense.

You can breed them purely if you separate one breed in a pen by their selves. Say you have barred rocks, rhode island red, buff orpingtons, and delawares. if you have all these different breed hens and just put one type of rooster say the barred rock then you will get pure barred rocks and barred rock mixes. Hope this makes sense.
so if I have several roosters and hens of many breeds I can seperate them and breed them purely? So say I have a BR roo and 5 BR hens RCBL roo and 5 hens of that breed I can seperate them temperarely and breed them purely after say a week?

Give it more than a week. Hens can "store" sperm for a while, not sure exactly how long, but a quick search should tell you. So you will need to separate them, and toss eggs while the hen is still harboring sperm from other roosters, then more time for them to be together while you collect eggs fertilized by only the desired rooster.

I think 2 weeks is the minimum for getting rid of a rooster's stored sperm in a hen--serious folks say to give it at least 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom