Chicken Breeds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickendude1, Jan 11, 2011.

1. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    hi im looking for a new breed of chicken, One that lays preety good, Sells preety good isnt very flighty or very scared of people. Please let me know what breed fits that description. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ameraucanas of course

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I really like my Rhode Island Reds! [​IMG]

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Easter Eggers, hands down over anything else.

5. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Dude, your going to get as many opinions as there are breeds. I vote for Barred Rocks.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:[​IMG] Very true! [​IMG]

Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas are two of my other top favorites! [​IMG]

ETA: My other top favorites in addition to RIRs, BRs, and EEs are: Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Wyandottes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Exactly.

Chances are you'll end up with Production Reds, Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, or Buff Orpingtons. They're the most common and easy to find.

8. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Well, k just figuring out a breed to get next spring [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:So true. Thats how all of these types of questions end up going, everybody just posts their own personal favorite and their personal experience with this breed may be a lot different than someone elses.

So the best thing to do would be just find a breed that appeals to you becuase there is no way to get a "right" answer with all the possibilities there are.

If you could find a handful of breeds that you like and post them and where you plan to get them from, that would be much easier to narrow it down and help people who have experience with these breeds give you the pros and cons that they have had with them and the sources they got them from. And after hearing what others have to say about a specific few breeds that you pick out, then that may help you decide which would be best for you.

10. IamTheChickenWhisperer

IamTheChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Gotta go with the barred rocks, austrolorps, orpingtons, NHRs, RIRs, leghorns and marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by