Chicken Broody

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Mar 28, 2015.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I know this is like the question of 'How much does a hen weigh?', but... I have six pea eggs to set and one broody BCM hen. I know that she can cover the six eggs, but how many eggs do you think she COULD cover? I may want to slip a couple more under her if she can keep them warm. Temps are now in the lower 70 to mid 60 range and 40's at night. So far I am getting two eggs every other day, one from my Purple pen, and from my BS pen. I believe both hens are Cameo that are laying.

I know that a neighbor sets six under his broody bantam hens but I would like to know what others here do.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I only put 4 per hen, i know some can cover more but i feel better with 4 and am sure that none will not be left off to the side by accident as they are bigger than a hen egg, broodys tend to loose weight during sitting so it is harder for them to cover more after time especially when they sit month after month like mine do, i got hens that will not even leave the nest after the babies hatch, they are perpetual broodys LOL

Congratulations on you eggs [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by