chicken bugs

courtshep

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
West Virginia
:eek:Okay, I've read about things like lice, and mites and such. My chicks are 2 weeks old, and still isolated in a large brooder. The thought of all those buggy things totally grosses me out. How much of an issue is it? Is it as gross as it sounds? And is prevention really difficult? I just picture this as an ongoing battle, but this is my first flock, so I have no idea. Thanks for any input!!

They will be fine as long as they are in a clean brooder - no worries now.

Once they go outside, it is almost impossible to keep them 100% free from parasites. They can even get mites from the flying wild birds that may come down to the same ground the chickens are on.

I would NOT recommend treating in advance for mites, etc. Just take a peek everyone once in a while around the vent area and see if you see any grain-of-salt sized critters crawling around.

A few mites won't hurt them per se, but a huge infestation will cause itching and can cause a reduction in egg laying, etc due to the potential anemia from a huge infestation.

We have had our flock of chickens since November, and so far, no bugs on any of them.

They do not free range, they are in a closed in stable, and I use DE every week when I clean the pen.

Hopefully, our luck will keep up because I can't stand the thought of bugs on my chickens. Especially because I hold them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom