Chicken bully?

Ace8334

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2022
I have 4 chickens that have all be together for a long time. They are usually very peaceful and love each other. Except this last week. I usually let them out everyday if not every other day and my chicken 2 got really low wings kinda out and the chicken 1 came running around the corner unprovoked and hoped on her back and bit her neck. It's gotten so bad that chicken 2 is now standing on the coop and can't roost with the other 3 because they all peck her now. Usually chicken 1 is the lone ranger she walks to her own beat and usually is found alone somewhere in my yard chicken 2 and the other 2 chickens stick together in a pod. Now dynamic change chicken 2 is now the loner. What is happening? No blood or feathers have been pulled yet but don't want it to get there.

Good question, how old are they? What sex are they, any boys? Photos of the set-up are often helpful. Since the chicken is sleeping on the roof it might help to know how big in feet or meters the coop is. A photo inside the coop may help. Photos of the chickens could help, especially if you are unsure of the sex.

Yeah, Aart. It sounds like mating but also that they are hitting puberty and are sorting out the pecking order and flock dominance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's see what the situation is.

All are hens 100%
They are laying regularly
Not sure how old but at least 2-3 years old (got from my mother inlaw)
No changes in anything everything has been the same.
I do let them out in the yard everyday for at least 2-4 hours min most days they are out from around 8 am to 5pm everyday
This morning all three cornered her and peck the heck outta her.
Also I roost her at night if she is not. She does go into coop and will lay in the nesting box.
The run is about 12 ft long x 10 ft wide and coup has plenty of room for them all to fit.
also no real broody behaviors from any of them.

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_114423161.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220908_114423161.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220908_114429722.jpg
    PXL_20220908_114429722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220908_114435776.jpg
    PXL_20220908_114435776.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220908_114438832.jpg
    PXL_20220908_114438832.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for all that information, it helped. That blew a lot of my theories but I have another one since they are that old. You have had a revolt. The former head hen has been deposed, she is no longer head hen but another is on top. Since she has been knocked down in the pecking order the others are being bullies and keeping her at the bottom.

She may be slowing down because she is getting older. It takes a certain amount of energy to be top hen. She may be sick or have some type of injury. They can be quick to take advantage of any opportunity to advance in the pecking order and can be pretty brutal.

So, what can you do. If I remember right @azygous has steps to help a hen regain her self-confidence or she may know who does.

Since she is laying you probably want to keep her. My suggestion is to not force her to be in tight places with the others. That basically means locked in the coop. Not sure where she can safely sleep at night. You may need to isolate her for a while, hopefully where the others can see her but not hurt her. Treat it like a new integration.

Give her time. There has been a big change in their social dynamics, it may take a while for them to sort things out.

This is how to rehabilitate a bullying victim so they will start to stand up for themselves again. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

For elderly chickens, you can provide them a perch down low, and it would be less likely the others would compete with her for the honor of perching there since it's the lowest point in the coop. Another thing you can do to help the roosting competition is to install partitions at intervals on the perch.

This is how to rehabilitate a bullying victim so they will start to stand up for themselves again. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

For elderly chickens, you can provide them a perch down low, and it would be less likely the others would compete with her for the honor of perching there since it's the lowest point in the coop. Another thing you can do to help the roosting competition is to install partitions at intervals on the perch.
Im going to do this in 1 week. My broodys chicks will be 12 weeks old and that gives me time to extend the "safe haven" run.
The Broody is relentless against her once broody mama(Becky, my Avatar). Becky will not and can not come out of the coop. When she does try to, feathers are flying and she's screaming and runs back into the coop. I have to keep feed and water inside for her and I feel terrible about it.
But, I'm going to fix it with your remedy because it has to stop and the chicks will be old enough.
Thank you in advance @azygous.

Back
Top Bottom