chicken butt looks bad - a bit gruesome

kristihilmoe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Today my husband noticed the other chickens pecking at one of the hens and her bottom was bleeding. Her bottom is plucked bare and her butt is bloody and looks like prolapsed raw meat. He took her out of the coop to keep her away, but will she survive? What about tomorrow when she is supposed to lay an egg? We don't know what to do with her????

Since the first post we have kept her out of the coop and under a laundry basket at night - not the best of accomodations but it keeps her separate and safe. She has laid an egg. He prolapse isnt as bloody red, but more of a dark color. She can still poop. She just wanders about the yard pecking. I have a pic and will post when i figure out how.

84971_imag0292.jpg

This is todays pic of her bottom

84971_imag0289-1.jpg

This is 2 days ago pic. Any ideas? Doesnt look like its getting better, just drier.

Separate her ASAP. The other chickens WILL pick & pick & pick. IDK if that is prolapse, but do the search at least. Maybe some antibiotics or antibiotic cream.

I did separate her immediately, she hasnt been in the coop since we first saw it. Have searched prolapse. Cut back her food. She is still laying, and still pooping.

I would think if it were prolapse, she would not be able to lay. ?????? I would think wound and treat with antibiotics. Keep us posted.
fl.gif

Where do you get antibiotics for a chicken? We've only had the chickens since march 3rd and this is the first problem we've had. I keep telling my husband the stuff I'm reading on here and he says I'm just full of good news. Had no idea chickens were susceptible to so many illnesses!

Back
Top Bottom