1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken butts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsewishr, Nov 19, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    seriously. . .

My chickens are starting to get messy butts. Is it because they've got their "winter feathers" on and have more fluff back there? Or is it possible there's something going on?

Every morning there are a couple of really wet poops under the roost, but most are normal.

How do I know if there's something wrong?

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Bring a sample to a vet? They do fecals on my cats for about $15.00. They can test for worms atleast. Do you ever feed them yougurt with cultures? It really helps mine get back on the poopy track so to speak. Have they been eating the same diet, have they been getting alot more or less of one item?

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Mine have gotten poopy butts when they have recieved an abundance of "rich" treats. It cleared when I gave them a break from so many table scraps.

4. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    actually, in my case, it's probably the opposite. They used to get lost of treats from the garden, but that's pretty much dried up now. They're getting only layer crumbles and an occasional handful of sunflower seeds.

Should I expect my chickens to have clean feathers on their hind ends??????

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by