Chicken can’t poop after raccoon attack

I thought I would post an update on our chicken Jezebel. She’s doing much better. When we went to administer the penicillin injection, found her bedding covered in massive amounts of poop, as well as a rock-hard egg-sized ball of poop. Pooping normal since then and has received 2 doses of penicillin so far. Wounds are looking better.

Only hurdle now is the leg. I still can’t feel a break in it anywhere. I though perhaps she had broken a toe, but she can curl her toes around my finger, so I don’t think that’s it either. For now we’ve got her in a sling overnight and a few hours at a time during the day to take some pressure off the foot. Time will tell at this point how we handle her foot/leg, I suppose.

Thank you again Wyorp Rock for all your guidance

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    568.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 5
Can she stand at all?

You can try putting her in a sling to see if that get her up and out of the poop. Some tolerate a sling, while others freak out. A lot depends on where the wounds are too.
I posted some photos you can also google images of "chicken sling" and find some creative ideas. The one made out of the green tote is simple, but you would want to add a third hole for poop to fall through.

Having an odor is not good. If she is getting soiled, it will be harder to tell if it is that or infection. If you decide antibiotics are needed, look for Penicillin G. You will also need some needles and syringes (TSC has those too). Get 20 gauge needles and the smallest syringes. Dosage is 1/4cc daily in breast muscle 1/4" deep, alternate sides daily. Give for 4days.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

sling+2.png

DIY-Plastic-Bin-Chicken-Sling.jpg

Pooping is still touch and go. I just rinsed her off again and her underbelly was pretty covered. Her vent itself was clear this time, as opposed to last time I rinsed her off. I can hear her straining to poop also. I’m hopeful that we are making progress since she’s gotten poop all over her under-side since I cleaned her up yesterday??

As far as her wounds are concerned, initially we were just caking Neosporin on the wounds. She started getting this awful smell, which warranted concerns for infection. So for the past two days I’ve been applying an activated charcoal poultice on them.

I’m convinced that the smell is from the caked poop, but my husband feels some of her inner organs might have infection that we can’t see. I may stop at Tractor Supply tomorrow for some Penicillin and give her that, as a precaution. The wounds are hard to see now since they’re covered in black charcoal, but are very small, largest may be size of a pencil eraser. The wounds are right up close to her tail bone and the point where her tail feathers are attached. Which is why I don’t think her cloaca or intestines were injured (I hope anyways).

Being a newbie, I greatly appreciate any advice or knowledge you can share. TIA!
Puncture wounds can get horribly infected, sounds like she needs antibiotics. I just brought my chicken to the vet today for a eye infection, look on google for aviary vets in your area. I am sure there is one.

She's gotten 2 doses of penicillin so far to ward off infection. Will continue with that for 2 more days.

She will chose to stand all day on her healthy leg without putting much weight on her injured leg. I didn't take a pic of her standing, but you can see after I put her in the sling that she's keeping weight off her right foot.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom