Chicken can’t stand - sudden onset

Bluecharm7

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
Yesterday afternoon one of my pullets was left outside. Went to check on her and she couldn’t stand. She was fine yesterday morning and around noon when I checked them last.

I did vaccinate these chickens for Mareks the day they hatched. This was my first time vaccinating chicks I could have under dosed some perhaps.
Could my chicken be vaccinated and still get it? Does it have a sudden on set or could something else have happened?

Yesterday afternoon one of my pullets was left outside. Went to check on her and she couldn’t stand. She was fine yesterday morning and around noon when I checked them last.

I did vaccinate these chickens for Mareks the day they hatched. This was my first time vaccinating chicks I could have under dosed some perhaps.
Could my chicken be vaccinated and still get it? Does it have a sudden on set or could something else have happened?
The vaccine only helps to prevent a 2-3 different strains of Marek's Disease. So your birds can still get infected by a different strain.

First I'd check for an ear infection too rule that out?

Yes your chickens can still get Marek's even with the vaccine.
I'm not sure exactly how much of the vaccine You should have given each bird nor am I sure if underdosing is the exact same as not dosing.

Do you have confirmed Marek's disease in your flock?
How old is this particular bird and what exactly do you feed it?

Do you have any Nutri-Drench on hand and if not can you go get some now?
Will the bird drink?

Mareks vaccine is best given at a hatchery. It takes 2 full weeks for the chick to be considered immune, and if they are exposed to any feather dust or dander in an area during that time, they can still get the disease. The vaccine is not 100% effective. If you should lose her, I would get a necropsy and testing by your state vet to get a diagnosis. In the meantime, separate her near food and water. Check to see if she can move either leg, if there are any injuries or bruising. What are you feeding?

I feed Nutrena All-flock and provide grit and oyster shell. The chicken was born April 8th. I vaccinated the chicks the day they were hatched in my incubator kept in the house. Followed the directions for dosage.
She doesn’t look paralyzed but can’t stand. She is eating and drinking. I have already separated her. The chickens have a large fenced in run 70’x96’. But it doesn’t have a roof so she could have been injured trying to get away from a hawk. I didn’t see any injuries that I could tell. She is grasping with her toes. I have a difficult time determining dislocation and breaks if they have them.

Oh and the chicks were kept indoors and separate from other chickens for 2 weeks. And I don’t believe I have Marek’s in my flock all my chickens are vaccinated but they can interact with wild birds.

I wanted to update. I have no idea what was wrong with her but she is back to normal like nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom