Chicken can’t walk, fell off roost during the night and crying on the ground

Yes, it can. Hopefully someone like @rebrascora can chime in with more details of how Marek's works.
In the mean time here's some very good information for you to read:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Thank you, that article was very informative!! The description of the paralysis is very much like what I observed. But then the article mentions that B vitamin deficiency and heavy metal toxicity can also mimic the paralysis of Marek’s. We are in the Bay Area and just survived the smoke from the horrific Camp Fire in November. Unfortunately our birds were stuck outside breathing very toxic air for 2 weeks. They all went into a stress molt and stopped laying for over a month. I am sure that this probably had something to do with it. And the fact that supplementing with nutritional yeast (yes, it is a good source of B vitamins and is not active yeast) has seemed to help each time gives me hope.

I guess if your hens is struggling with being egg bound she could show it by walking differently. Everywhere from a duck like waddle to a upright penguin waddle. Having crop issues can be secondary to a reproductive issue.
You’ve gotten some very good advice so far.
You need to examine her. Then start your process of elimination to figure things out.
How does her vent look?
Could she have a prolapse that she’s still laying thru?
If it were me I’d stop the yeast because Smelling her breath tells you if she’s sour or not. I’d be afraid of the false positive because of the yeast aroma.
You need to go hands on and check her out head to toe.
Let us know what you find.
Best wishes
Thank you, I have examined her and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Her vent is normal. Her crop seems normal. I don’t notice a sour breath smell. There were no signs of visible injury to her feet or legs. Just the temporary paralysis of her legs. She’s been walking about and behaving normally the past couple of days.

You said she ate some scratch. Are you feeding anything else? It also sounds like she could possibly be calcium deficient and if laying and pulling calcium out of her bones, that could potentially cause temporary paralysis.

Thank you, that article was very informative!! The description of the paralysis is very much like what I observed. But then the article mentions that B vitamin deficiency and heavy metal toxicity can also mimic the paralysis of Marek’s. We are in the Bay Area and just survived the smoke from the horrific Camp Fire in November. Unfortunately our birds were stuck outside breathing very toxic air for 2 weeks. They all went into a stress molt and stopped laying for over a month. I am sure that this probably had something to do with it. And the fact that supplementing with nutritional yeast (yes, it is a good source of B vitamins and is not active yeast) has seemed to help each time gives me hope.
Since the symptoms are sporadic, really all you can do is monitor her like you have been doing and add vitamin therapy/nutritional yeast as needed. Watch to see that she is eating/drinking well.
If you feed a fairly low protein feed (16%) you can give a boost here and there by providing extra protein (eggs, meat, tuna/fish)

*edited to correct auto spell!

Last edited:
You said she ate some scratch. Are you feeding anything else? It also sounds like she could possibly be calcium deficient and if laying and pulling calcium out of her bones, that could potentially cause temporary paralysis.
I feed them oyster shell with the scratch, layer pellets that have calcium in it, grass, and also occasionally mealworms. She is not laying frequently this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom