Chicken can’t walk

Astrx

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Please help my 4 month old chicken can barely move and is almost all day just in one spot laying down.She still eats and drinks water which is good.And there’s nothing else that’s wrong with her so I don’t know what it could be that she has.She doesn’t want to be close to the other chickens so we put her in her coop for now.And her rooster that always followed her since baby’s left her and just goes roam the yard on his own.

Attachments

• ED76994E-FC44-409F-AAA5-0CCDB96C380E.jpeg
    ED76994E-FC44-409F-AAA5-0CCDB96C380E.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 3
  • B2D87B1D-EFED-4984-BF11-215F916C58D8.jpeg
    B2D87B1D-EFED-4984-BF11-215F916C58D8.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 1
It sounds possibly like the cockerel has hurt her back or legs, but Mareks disease could show up around this age. Does one leg seem weaker than the other if you hold her up to a standing position? Make sure that she can reach her food and water. A wire dog crate would be a good way to separate her, but still keep her safely with the other chickens. Chicken slings can be good for lame chickens to get them upright and in front of food and water. Here is a good link with pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/page-2

It sounds possibly like the cockerel has hurt her back or legs, but Mareks disease could show up around this age. Does one leg seem weaker than the other if you hold her up to a standing position? Make sure that she can reach her food and water. A wire dog crate would be a good way to separate her, but still keep her safely with the other chickens. Chicken slings can be good for lame chickens to get them upright and in front of food and water. Here is a good link with pictures:
When I pick her up her she puts down her right foot just fine but the left one seems week and causes her to just fall down.And when walking her left foot is placed wrong and makes her not walk right

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/page-2
I agree with @Eggcessive, the rooster probably accidentally injured her during mating.
The sling would be a good idea.
Definitely keep her seperate until she gets better.
When I put her in one should I leave her in it all day? And take her out once she heals or is the sling only for a certain time for each day?

Back
Top Bottom