chicken can barely stand and walk for weeks

HeidiO

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Missouri
About 2 months ago I noticed my Light Brahma sitting in the middle of the yard a lot while the others free ranged. I just thought she was being lazy until about 3 weeks ago she could barley walk. She might have had scaley leg mites so I treated her with Nu-Stock ointment but the next day she could barely stand. She was alert and healthy looking otherwise. I took her to the vet (not a chicken expert but she had knowledge of chickens) and her fecal test was negative, leg reflexes were normal, but she thought she had a stuck egg (got it out) and noticed her crop was very swollen so put her on antibiotics for crop stasis for 5 days and meds to dissolve the crop contents. She didn't get better for about 10 days and then was able to walk a little. But now after 3 weeks she's back to barely being able to stand. Anyone have any advice?

But now after 3 weeks she's back to barely being able to stand. Anyone have any advice?
How old is your Brahma? Was it vaccinated against Marek's or was Marek's considered?

What is fed on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

Are you located in the US? Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance.

:fl

She is one year old. Not vaccinated for Marek's but the vet didn't think that was it. She is fed Modesto Mills organic non soy layer pellets. Fed Scratch and Peck non GMO scratch. She also free ranges for several hours a day. Located in Missouri.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom