Chicken can't lift her head and not really pooping

PinkHairGirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
South Africa
On Monday I found one of my Koekkoeks standing in one spot with her head down, she did not seem to be able to lift it at all. We isolated her. I did not think that she would survive the day but she did.

She has at time had her head up but for very very short periods of time and then her head is down again with her beak just about on the floor. We have been hand feeding her plain yogurt, grated apple, oats, and vitamins
we have been giving her water with electrolytes.

If you hold a spoon to her beak and pick up her head then she does seem to take some off the spoon and drink a little but I am worried as there are no poops. She has pooed a tiny bit since Monday.

Her comb is flopped over and had a blue tinge at the tip, but that looked better and red again during the day. She even had her head right up and was looking around but now she is head way down again. Her vent seems to move in and out as she breaths. We could not feel any egg near her vent. A little poop on her bum feathers but does not looked blocked.

I am not sure what to do, she is making little noises now. I feel so bad for her, she has been a real fighter but I don't know what especially as she is not getting better.

She is eating and drinking only if I help her.
I have been trying to find deworming stuff for them, but there seems to be nothing available near me in South Africa, I am going to try phone a place about 2 hours away and see if they will post me something.

Anything I can do in the mean time?

We have had one poop, never thought I would be so excited about chicken poop

A drooping neck can be a sign of wry neck if the neck is twisted down, or it can be a sign of Mareks disease. Also a limberneck can be a sign of botulism if the legs and wings are limp and paralyzed. It is a neurological symptom. Can she move her legs and stand?

She is standing and he wings seem fine.
She just does not seem to be able to move her head normally, it is not twisted at all.

She tried to shake her head and could not she also tried to peck at a pellet and just dropped it.

More poop today but she is not eating as much. I may need to get a syringe and start feeding her.

She keeps backing herself into the corner of the area that I have for her. She hardly moves at all.

Back
Top Bottom