Chicken Can't Stand and has Water Dropping

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm at a bit of a loss here.
This morning when I went to let my chickens out to roam I did a head count and noticed that one of my hens was still in the coop and looked like she was having a hard time, as I got closer I picked her up and she couldn't stand on her own.
It instantly made me think mites. I had a chicken who displayed the same behavior after/during a heavy mite infestation. I looked all over her head, ears, feet, vent and entire body & she is spotless. No mites, no louse, no wounds.
I do belive that she is the bottom of the pecking order but have not seen her being bullied. No other chickens are having symptoms and are active as always.
Her poop is almost completely water with a bit of white. I've had her inside for a few hours now with food and water and she has been eating a drinking like normal, still unable to stand. She is probably 3 to 4 months old at this point.

Anyone have any clue what might be going on? Any suggestions? I am planning on giving her some electrolytes, yogurt & scrambled eggs.

Also, I have noticed she tends to hang back. Could she have just been starving herself because she is the lowest in the pecking order? I have water in two separate parts of the large open pen we have but only one feeder. She lives with 9 other chickens, same age, 3 roos and 6 hens. We are planning on removing 2 roosters but haven't gotten around to it.

The cockerels may very well have been harassing her and keeping her from eating. I would remove them from the flock if at all possible.
Thank you! I think you're right, I'll definitely take care of those roosters tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom