Chicken can't stand, leg injury or disease?

MrsYnd

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2022
Eight days ago, while letting my birds out of the coop, one of them made a particularly high jump from her roost that I thought was concerning; she did not seem at all bothered and showed no signs or injury, walked just fine the rest of the day and even roosted again that night.
Seven days ago I found her laying on her side in the coop floor, I helped her up, she was unable to walk and barely able to stand, I am unsure if this is a coincidence or related to the previous day but I felt I should mention it.

Since finding her fallen, I have kept her isolated and kept in a much smaller coop with a closed nesting box, I have absolutely coddled her by providing her with food and water hand fed and not leaving her outside unattended whatsoever. She has not learned to stand on one leg, which is making me very worried.

Symptoms:
One leg does not work below the hock, she can move it from the joint up it seems.
I cannot feel any breaks or notice any swelling, there is no external damage,
She does not react to me touching her leg.
She used to try to stand on one leg but now seems more content to just sit on her hocks
Seems to be progressively having a harder time balancing and sitting herself up(Might be my imagination)
Toes sometimes curl akin to curly toe syndrome but not stiff.
Appetite and thirst are normal, eats and drinks whenever presented with food
Personality is completely normal, exhibits no fear.
No noticeable breathing problems.
Eyes are correctly colored.
Comb is correctly colored.

I was worried that it might be Marek's disease, however no other birds from it's original flock nor my flock are showing any symptoms, unsure how exactly old she is, not a chick but I don't believe she has laid an egg either. I apologize for such a lengthy post but I really love my birds, this one especially, and don't know what else to do. I've began giving her vitamin B complex, incase she has a vitamin deficiency, but I dont know how long it takes to start showing progress.
Any advice will help, thanks.

Heres a picture of her in her sleeping area i put her in at night now, incase it helps with figuring out age/breed if its relevant

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I'm so sorry about your beautiful bird. I wonder if the jump has something to do with this because of how stoic they are. Did she make it back to her usual roosting spot the night of her worrying jump? I know you mentioned finding her on the floor on the morning of the next day. Does she have access to food and water at all times throughout the day (no access throughout the night so you can keep an eye on crop function first thing every morning), now that she's not moving around? They need a lot more water that I initially thought and you definitely don't want her getting dehydrated. For now, if she was my bird, I'd fix her a sling during the day to keep her upright, taking her out and propping her up with towels for sleep. You could try treating for pain to see if that makes a difference. Have you felt her over, paying close attention to her spine and the injured leg, checking for any swelling and/or heat coming from anywhere? I would be tempted to try some heat therapy on her spine if you don't find anything obvious with the leg. It'd be a really good idea to get an accurate weight on her, first thing in the morning, with an empty crop, and continue to do this every morning to make sure she isn't losing weight. That can get out of hand quickly and cause more discomfort for her and work on your part, if she begins to lose weight from whatever is going on. Is a vet an option?

It's a coincidence most likely. You would have seen immediate symptoms of injury after her long jump.

Marek's isn't the only common avian virus with such symptoms. In fact, Marek's commonly affects young birds while lymphoid leucosis affects older ones.

This could also be a vitamin B deficiency. Yes, it can come on suddenly. Treat with B-complex and vitamin E each day for the next three weeks. If she doesn't improve, it's most likely an avian virus and it will continue to worsen. There is no cure. Get the vitamins where they sell human ones. Feed store vites aren't potent enough.

I'm so sorry about your beautiful bird. I wonder if the jump has something to do with this because of how stoic they are. Did she make it back to her usual roosting spot the night of her worrying jump? I know you mentioned finding her on the floor on the morning of the next day. Does she have access to food and water at all times throughout the day (no access throughout the night so you can keep an eye on crop function first thing every morning), now that she's not moving around? They need a lot more water that I initially thought and you definitely don't want her getting dehydrated. For now, if she was my bird, I'd fix her a sling during the day to keep her upright, taking her out and propping her up with towels for sleep. You could try treating for pain to see if that makes a difference. Have you felt her over, paying close attention to her spine and the injured leg, checking for any swelling and/or heat coming from anywhere? I would be tempted to try some heat therapy on her spine if you don't find anything obvious with the leg. It'd be a really good idea to get an accurate weight on her, first thing in the morning, with an empty crop, and continue to do this every morning to make sure she isn't losing weight. That can get out of hand quickly and cause more discomfort for her and work on your part, if she begins to lose weight from whatever is going on. Is a vet an option?
Vet may be an option, but it is a last resort as there aren't even any poultry vets in my town, and money is a little tight.
I think shes getting enough food and water, I let her drink until she stops on her own accord, I check her crop nightly to make sure its full and if its not I feed her wet vegetable scraps. I do not let her have access to it all day as she kept knocking the water over or getting into it and would need me to dry her off (especially with how cold it is). I sit out there for about 30 minutes at a time and watch her eat/drink every few hours.
I have felt her over and while I cant feel anything, I'm also not sure what I should be feeling as this is my first injured chicken, her legs feel the same on both and she shows no sign of pain or discomfort when I touch them. I'm starting to consider that it might be a spinal injury as her tail is always slightly to the right but that might be to help balance.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm going to try to start weighing her and see about making a good sling for her.

It's a coincidence most likely. You would have seen immediate symptoms of injury after her long jump.

Marek's isn't the only common avian virus with such symptoms. In fact, Marek's commonly affects young birds while lymphoid leucosis affects older ones.

This could also be a vitamin B deficiency. Yes, it can come on suddenly. Treat with B-complex and vitamin E each day for the next three weeks. If she doesn't improve, it's most likely an avian virus and it will continue to worsen. There is no cure. Get the vitamins where they sell human ones. Feed store vites aren't potent enough.
I have been giving her Super Vitamin B Complex for about 3 days now, I cut them into thirds and feed her orally once a day, she just pecks it and swallows it out of my hand. Would it be better to try to dissolve it in water and get her to drink or does it not matter so long as shes ingesting it?

Back
Top Bottom