Chicken cant stand nor move, cant control her movement.

JacobSP

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
Oaxaca, México
Hi to all of you, I have a chicken who can't move well, her legs are too weak, she only moves by flapping her wings, she has been in that condition for a while, but no vet has done anything for her, so i'm asking for help here. We had two chickens that suddenly started not moving, and all of her wings fell down, unfortunately the other one died, because she couldn't eat, but this one survived. She just can't control her movements, and suddenly starts moving like crazy, flapping her wings and pulling her neck down, and her feet are just too weak to stand her. We adapted a stand for her to eat, but she often refuses to drink water. Thanks in advance
Link to a video:
http://jacobsp.xyz/VID_20160815_174525456.mp4

How hot is it there, and has she been drinking or eating? What do her droppings look like? Were the chickens who have been affected vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks could be a possibility, since it can cause lameness, imbalanced, starving, and wry neck. Other neurological conditions, such as eating moldy feed, botulism, or viruses could cause those symptoms. If she doesn't live, I would refrigerate her body, and try to get a necropsy done by the nearest poultry lab or vet. You may want to call your nearest poultry health official to find out if there are any common outbreaks of chicken diseases nearby that could cause the symptoms you are seeing. In the meantime, I would feed a balanced chicken feed, plenty of water, and add some poultry vitamins and some plain yogurt with cultures for probiotics.

I had a pullet with the same symptoms and found out she had Meraks. She couldn't stand, her legs having no muscle control. She wouldn't eat or drink. She died within 10 days. If your chicken has Meraks there isn't anything you can do. It's a 50/50 chance that they'll live. I think the older they are the more likely they'll live. Just keep giving her water and food and hope for the best. Sorry for your loss. I hope she gets better.

Here we are at 25°, so it is hot, but the chickens are under shadow, she eats regularly, and drinks almost no water, except for the little water i force her to drink. Her droppings look normal. They we're supposed to be vaccinated. But she has lived plenty of time, i am amazed, because while the other chicken gave up a few days after decaying, this chicken has been for almost 1 month and 2 weeks, she has no problem eating, the problem is i don't know where to buy the vitamins, but if i find some, i'll give them to her. And about the yogurt, what yogurt is ok? Thanks for your support!

Chickens love yogurt. It's fine as long as it's plain yogurt. Vitamin water should pep her up. It did to my pullet that had mareks. How long has your chicken been sick? If they make it passed day 10 they should survive, I've read. Best wishes.

I don't think she'll die then. And she should stand when she wants to. I've knon chickens that recover and mostly stay lying down but eventually stand and walk. Just give her time.

Here we are at 25°, so it is hot, but the chickens are under shadow, she eats regularly, and drinks almost no water, except for the little water i force her to drink. Her droppings look normal. They we're supposed to be vaccinated. But she has lived plenty of time, i am amazed, because while the other chicken gave up a few days after decaying, this chicken has been for almost 1 month and 2 weeks, she has no problem eating, the problem is i don't know where to buy the vitamins, but if i find some, i'll give them to her. And about the yogurt, what yogurt is ok? Thanks for your support!

There can be other reasons than Mareks disease to affect the neurological system. Mold in feed or grains, botulism from eating dead animal or vegetation remains, lead or heavy metal poisoning, and even just dehydration can cause similar symptoms. If she eats, try putting water in her feed to get more into her. Vitamin BComplex for humans is a good vitamin to grind up or dissolve in their food or water.

Back
Top Bottom