Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

I too think her sleeping with her head tucked under her wing is a good thing, because it shows more flexibility on her part. You commented several days ago that her abdomen seemed somewhat hard and swollen. How is that now? Same as others, I will be waiting to hear what your vet has to say.šŸ™‚

P.s. Depending on what the vet says after examining her, you may need to start letting her get hungry enough that she isn't waiting for a tube to deliver a nice complete meal. I have seen some of my hurt/sick hens turn their noses up at scrambled egg, but they can't resist live wiggly mealworms. (Live, not dried like she Ethel put in her water.)

Also as a reminder, a PCR blood test to test for Mareks can be performed without euthanizing Ethel if your vet.thinks that would be helpful. Not all states offer the test, but if your state does not, you can still overnight her blood to your nearest state lab that offers the test.

I too think her sleeping with her head tucked under her wing is a good thing, because it shows more flexibility on her part. You commented several days ago that her abdomen seemed somewhat hard and swollen. How is that now? Same as others, I will be waiting to hear what your vet has to say.šŸ™‚
It is still the same. Hoping it's just part of her anatomy and not something bad. Guess we will know tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated.

Hi and welcome to BYC. It is certainly possible to xray a chicken to detect an injury, but a good vet could likely determine if your hen is is injured (and where) through palpation. I wouldn't lay her on her back again, since doing so can put stress on internal organs and may further injure her back if that is the problem. If she can pull her legs inward towards her it's probably not Mareks. The fact that she is a red sexlink (high production layer) makes her very prone to reproductive issues. In addition, if she hasn't eaten or drank for 4 days those are additional strikes against her. I am tagging some of byc's medical experts @azygous @Wyorp Rock @coach723 @TwoCrows @Eggcessive in hopes its not too late to save your sweet Ethel.
My heart goes out to you and Ethel. Best of luck. I know from experience it's heart breaking when you don't know what to do or how to help them :(

Back
Top Bottom