Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Hi all, I haven't been on here in a while, since Ethel passed, and I haven't got her portrait back yet because I haven't been able to let go of her feathers to send them in the mail to the lady that's going to paint her portrait for me, but I wanted to reach out to a few of you that helped us out so much in the past with Ethel and ask about her sister who is pictured below. While I was down visiting them today, I noticed that her comb is much more pale than usual and my husband read something today that said when chickens take a break from laying, they're combs will turn pale, and I just wondered if that's true and if that might be all that is going on with her. She and other three seniors have not given us any eggs in about the last month or two, but of course they are all 7+ years old, so.... She acts perfectly fine and has plenty of energy. Also, her feathers look like she might be molting????! Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@mrskenmore
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• PXL_20231129_232705783.jpg
    PXL_20231129_232705783.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231129_232657028~2.jpg
    PXL_20231129_232657028~2.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 5
She also does appear to be molting, so double reason for not laying. With many breeds, the older they get the more likely they are to take the shorter winter days off of laying. Young birds will often lay through their first winter, after that, they start taking time off due to the shorter daylight hours, and for molt. And older birds are more likely to not start laying again until the longer days start in the spring. Until they eventually cease laying all together, if they live long enough. Every bird is a little different, but all of those are normal. Molt can sometimes be harder on them too, always good to keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom