Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

The crack that was in the side of the beak seems to have healed but there's apparently something else going on with her beak because she just can't eat. She does try but every time she picks up a bite of crumble she chatters or big real fast and quits as though she's frustrated.
Have you tried mixing water with her crumbles? Mix to the consistency of oatmeal. It might make it easier for her.

I know we've talked about this before, but I haven't had this issue with Ethel yet. After her last episode and her feet issues, we started tube feeding her again in all has gone well. She wasn't gaining weight. Weight. Quickly though so we increased the amount of feed so she is getting a scoop and a half of the baby bird formula two times a day and that has been going very well. Her crop has been empty in between feedings and every morning. She started gaining weight, almost 1 oz per day and is now up to 4 lb 13 oz. But last night I noticed her crop was not completely empty and again this morning it still was not completely empty. The picture I attached below was from yesterday evening after I brought her in after being outside for the day. Will somebody please remind me what I need to give her through her tube, since she isn't eating on her own, to help empty her crop?
@azygous
@mrskenmore
@Allsfairinloveandbugs

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_030155865.jpg
    PXL_20230712_030155865.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230712_030202845.jpg
    PXL_20230712_030202845.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 16
Here is the article @azygous wrote re crop disorders,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

And here is the article @TwoCrows wrote about the same issue.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Both articles are excellent, and will help you identify any crop issues either now or in the future. Even if Ethel's crop isn't impacted, that doesn't mean her digestive system is properly functioning. The two authors above may have feedback/ suggestions if that is the case.

As far as Ethel's current weight, she's probably at or near the top weight she needs to be. I had one petite little red sexlink that only weighed 3 pounds 3 ounces ; and one that tipped the scales at 5 pounds 6 ounces, but most fall somewhere around 4.5 pounds, give or take a few ounces. Have you seen the various body condition charts to enable you to gauge Ethel's proper weight? Here's one chart; but if you research "chicken body condition keel bone" or similiar, you will see other charts too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...-8#imgrc=VDLJM-XJvJXFXM&imgdii=ImYKsrQfGeSELM

My sincere condolences for your loss today. Ethel was a remarkable little hen that showed us all that with a little hope and love we can move mountains. Please be at peace knowing you went above and beyond to care for her. It is the best example I have ever seen on this site and I know others will learn from sweet sweet Ethel. You are in my thoughts and prayers 🙏🏻 just know Ethel joins a bunch of amazing chickens that have gone before her to the big chicken coop in the sky. The most important thing is that she was at peace and went with you by her side comfortable and loved. We should all be so lucky.

:hugs

I'm SOOO sorry.😭 :hugsi never mentioned it to you, but I have a handicapped hen too, and though she doesn't require nearly as much care as you gave Ethel, I dread the day when she's not physically with me anymore. Same as you did with Ethel, I've worked with her closely, she lives in my house at night, and she is such a sweet and special soul. I feel like she will take a huge part of my heart with her when her spirit flies away. Surely you must feel this way about your Ethel. But i also believe with all my heart that when the time comes and our own spirits fly away, we will see our beloved animal companions again. I hope you find Peace in knowing that too.

You (and your husband) did a spectacular job with her, @Gotalotofpetstoo , and Ethel was so lucky and blessed to know your love and care. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that truth.:hugs

I feel so numb. I feel like I'm forgetting something not having Ethel to feed, check on, hold and Love. I miss this girl so very much. I spent my day working on a new coop for mom's chickens to try to keep my mind occupied. Didn't help much though. We worked on it till dark and it's almost done, about another hour and will be ready to move to chickens into their new coop. I hadn't mentioned it, but within the past week, Ethel has started walking around a lot. She never really walked around much because she was blind and I guess she was so unsure of her surroundings so her not walking around was normal. But in the last week or so she had been walking around a lot which definitely caught my attention. And I wondered to myself maybe some miracle was happening and she was starting to see again. And then boom, five seconds and she was gone. Nothing I could even do to try to save her, It happend so fast. Since Ethel came into my life, I have definitely grown to love and appreciate chickens and we are going to adopt/ take in, two of the babies that were born to my mother's chicken several months ago. I talked about them previously, Opie and Aunt B. We will be bringing them up to our property sometime in the next few weeks. My husband is in love with little Opie and he is cute, but in my heart there will never be another Ethel. I was really looking forward to our (mine and Ethel's ) trip to the beach the end of September. I've lost a lot of dogs and cats over the years and it always hurts and it never hurts any less, but loving Ethel and having her in our life for seven short months was so special and I will always have a new appreciation for chickens now, in Ethel's memory. I have a friend that is an incredible artist and I'm going to ask her to do a painting of Ethel for me and incorporate some of Ethel's actual feathers into the painting. 😢😢😢

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_011843010~2.jpg
    PXL_20230731_011843010~2.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230731-003454.png
    Screenshot_20230731-003454.png
    922.1 KB · Views: 9
I remember when I lost my first hen Jolene to EYP- I was numb, I felt like I couldn't even talk to my friends and family about it because in their eyes she was "just a chicken". I found comfort in talking to others on this site because people actually empathized and knew how I felt. You can always come here to talk about Ethel, vent and cry even. Lord knows I have! It is indeed sad that she is no longer with us, but without you and your husband stepping in back in January she never would have known your love and most of all compassion. I am glad you are able to have some distractions with the new flock and getting the coop built. It looks great by the way!! There will never be another Ethel, but you are right- chickens are remarkable animals and no doubt there will be another that will be close to your heart again ❤️

Keep us all posted on the new flock- and what a wonderful idea to memorialize Ethel in a painting with her feathers!!

:hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom