Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

I know your numbness. In fact, when I read your post that Ethel had left your presence, I thought to myself how numb you must feel. I know that Ethel was your once-in-a-lifetime chicken. Your first chicken, and the one you will always love the most. I know this because I was that way when my once-in-a-lifetime dog left my presence 16+ years ago. I was numb and just going through the motions too. I know I continued to tend to my younger dogs during that time, even though I don't remember doing so. For about 2 weeks after he passed away, I don't remember anything at all. I think it requires a great love to feel such a great loss.

You said much earlier in this thread, before your mom "blessed" you with more chicks, that you didn't know if you wanted more chickens after Ethel. I was sad, because it is obvious how much love and care you have to give. The vast majority of chickens born on this earth never know any care and love at all. Then, when your mom ordered more chicks, it crossed my mind to wonder if that was somehow a blessing in disguise, even though I was sorry at how much it stressed you at the time. I don't believe you will ever know another chicken that steals your heart the way that Ethel did. But other chickens will do their best to win your affection too. Below is an essay that immediately came to my mind when you said that you didn't know if you wanted more chickens after Ethel passed away. The essay was written in 1940 by the acclaimed playwright and author Eugene O'Neil. Simply substitute "dog" with "chicken" as you read the essay, because the love and loss we feel for the animals that share our lives with is timeless and knows no boundaries.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140223130954/http://www.eoneill.com/texts/blemie/contents.htm

As heartbroken as I am, I do feel truly blessed to have had her in my life for 7 months.
I didn't even meet Ethel and I am grateful for having to get to know her through your posts. You and your husbands caretaking for her really moved me and showed me that anything is possible with a little hope. I still think you should make a t-shirt that says "What would Ethel do" Let it symbolize to live life to the fullest- just like she did! (and maybe to eat more blueberry muffins lol)

@Gotalotofpetstoo , i just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and certainly haven't forgotten about dear Ethel. I realize your October beach trip is coming up. I know you looked forward to physically taking Ethel with you on your trip, but always remember that she will be with you wherever you go. She will always be right here.👉❤️

@Gotalotofpetstoo , i just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and certainly haven't forgotten about dear Ethel. I realize your October beach trip is coming up. I know you looked forward to physically taking Ethel with you on your trip, but always remember that she will be with you wherever you go. She will always be right here.👉❤️
We just got home this past Sunday. While I was sitting on the beach with my mom watching all the sandpipers and the seagulls and the pelicans, I told my mom how much I wished Ethel could have been with us. I sure do miss that girl 😥 but, as it was with my very first dog that I had from 1979 to 1997, she was the reason I opened my grooming shop in 1999 so I could work with animals and she was the reason that I do what I do today to help other dogs. And Ethel is the reason that I know so much more about chickens now and am able to help the chickens we have from my mother's flock to have a better life.

Back
Top Bottom