Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

My husband has claimed the red/white rooster. We are referring to him as Freckles at the moment but he wants to come up with a new name for him. He got so excited a few nights ago because he heard/saw him trying to crow for the first time. 😂
Okay.. just my two cents here.. but what if you took the name freckles and named him after an influential red headed male that may have freckles.. ie. Prince Harry or Shaun White lol.

My husband names all our hens after influential leading ladies. We don't have roosters so I have a lot of name options in the queue lol! 😆

Okay.. just my two cents here.. but what if you took the name freckles and named him after an influential red headed male that may have freckles.. ie. Prince Harry or Shaun White lol.

My husband names all our hens after influential leading ladies. We don't have roosters so I have a lot of name options in the queue lol! 😆
Ugh or maybe Harry Styles.. that could be super cute..

Okay lol I am done now... I think... 🤣

Last edited:

Well, that message just gave "Freckles" a new name, thank you. As soon as I read it to Curt, he immediately said "Opie" (Ron Howard) from the Andy Griffith show :)

We're at tractor supply right now to get some Corid to treat what I assume is coccidiosis because of the diarrhea. I can't say that I have seen any blood in it but I can't say for sure there isn't. Does that make a difference as far as what product I use? We're going to have to do the entire flock because they have all been closely together. I can put two tablespoons in a gallon of water for all of them except the five older adult chickens that have been on the farm for years because they free range during the day so I have no way to make sure they drink the water. So can I give it to them in a syringe the same way we tube feed Ethel? I've read numerous different things about putting in the water but doing a drench as well. I have a drench gun for my goats which is obviously too big for the chickens, but is it the same method, that you want what you drench to go into the stomach just like Ethel's food?
******* I feel like I need to do Ethel as well because we care for Mom's chickens and care for Ethel and I'm afraid we could have possibly carried it from one location to another unknowingly. She is not eating on her own or drinking on her own still, so what is going to be the best way to treat her? She did have some sort of yucky black diarrhea today. It is usually runny because we tube feed her but it's usually more green. And today it was definitely black. I do not want to let this get out of control with all else she has going on****** so please anybody that has advice on this subject for Ethel specifically, since you all know what she has been through, Please chime in and let me know what you think. And feel free to give me suggestions for the rest of the flock as well. I'm trying to get coops built. Keep birds healthy and so many things right now. I can't keep anything straight at the moment.

We're at tractor supply right now to get some Corid to treat what I assume is coccidiosis because of the diarrhea. I can't say that I have seen any blood in it but I can't say for sure there isn't. Does that make a difference as far as what product I use? We're going to have to do the entire flock because they have all been closely together. I can put two tablespoons in a gallon of water for all of them except the five older adult chickens that have been on the farm for years because they free range during the day so I have no way to make sure they drink the water. So can I give it to them in a syringe the same way we tube feed Ethel? I've read numerous different things about putting in the water but doing a drench as well. I have a drench gun for my goats which is obviously too big for the chickens, but is it the same method, that you want what you drench to go into the stomach just like Ethel's food?
******* I feel like I need to do Ethel as well because we care for Mom's chickens and care for Ethel and I'm afraid we could have possibly carried it from one location to another unknowingly. She is not eating on her own or drinking on her own still, so what is going to be the best way to treat her? She did have some sort of yucky black diarrhea today. It is usually runny because we tube feed her but it's usually more green. And today it was definitely black. I do not want to let this get out of control with all else she has going on****** so please anybody that has advice on this subject for Ethel specifically, since you all know what she has been through, Please chime in and let me know what you think. And feel free to give me suggestions for the rest of the flock as well. I'm trying to get coops built. Keep birds healthy and so many things right now. I can't keep anything straight at the moment.
So I am sure our resident experts will weigh in here, but I am not keen in medicating if not warranted. Diarreah can be caused by many different reasons, number one being hot weather and the flock drinking alot or having alot of water based treats to keep them cool in hot weather ie. Fruits such as watermelon and cucumbers etc. Are they currently exibiting other signs of coccidideosis other than diarrhea? Also are they on medicated chick feed- as that treats it as well. I am attaching a great article from one of my favorite "peeps" the chicken chick

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

As for Ethel is she in close contact with the new little ones? Biosecurity and cleanliness is your best friend in keeping your chickens healthy and safe! The article has dosing and instructions should you choose to treat your flock.

Last edited:
So I am sure our resident experts will weigh in here, but I am not keen in medicating if not warranted. Diarreah can be caused by many different reasons, number one being hot weather and the flock drinking alot or having alot of water based treats to keep them cool in hot weather ie. Fruits such as watermelon and cucumbers etc. Are they currently exibiting other signs of coccidideosis other than diarrhea? Also are they on medicated chick feed- as that treats it as well. I am attaching a great article from one of my favorite "peeps" the chicken chick

As for Ethel is she is close contact with the new little ones? Biosecurity and cleanliness is your best friend in keeping your chickens healthy and safe! The article has dosing and instructions should you choose to treat your flock

As for Ethel is she is close contact with the new little ones? Biosecurity and cleanliness is your best friend in keeping your chickens healthy and safe! The article has dosing and instructions should you choose to treat your flock.
So maybe I'm just panicking. I'm just so overwhelmed with so many things going on right now and I'm so scared that my mom's chickens are going to get sick and die and in her current fragile state of mind, being that she is not able to do any of this for herself since her stroke, I just can't let anything happen. The only thing I have seen or noticed was some diarrhea. None are acting strangely or seem to be lethargic. I know they're not happy because the coop is overcrowded, I suspected that could have caused the diarrhea, which I figured was coccidiosis . I will admit that the coop is not as clean as it needs to be right now and is overcrowded at the moment but all of the birds seem to be acting just fine, the adults, the 16 wk old ones and the 8 wk old ones.
And we have been taking fruit down to them this past week which I actually quit giving to Ethel because it was giving her diarrhea, but that was before she quit eating on her own. Now she won't eat it anyway. We don't take a lot down there. It's only a small amount shared between all of them, but I suppose if one of them is getting more than the others, that could be the diarrhea that I'm seeing.
Ethel has not been anywhere close to any of the other chickens since she came to my house in January. I was afraid I could have carried something up here on my clothing or my shoes. Not like at the walks around much but that was still my concern. I will try to post some pictures of what I see in her area tonight and the other chickens coops as well. There's just not enough hours in the days to get everything done and I want to get these new coops ready for them so they can all be happy again.
The weather here in the past week or two is not been terribly hot at all, maybe 80 at the highest and they're coop is somewhat shaded so I don't think they're overheating. I'm going to hold off on treating any of them with the Corid tonight see if I can get some pictures and see what you guys think. I thought I had my hands full with Ethel when she came to live with us. But now that seems like it was a breeze compared to thinking there might be something going on with a dozen and a half other chickens.

Well, that message just gave "Freckles" a new name, thank you. As soon as I read it to Curt, he immediately said "Opie" (Ron Howard) from the Andy Griffith show :)
Opie is PERFECT!😄

It won't hurt to treat with Corid, but I agree with @mrskenmore that it is likely not necessary unless you see blood in stools, chicks standing hunched-up and listless, and other typical coccidiosis symptoms. After you read the article mrskenmore linked, you should have a good idea if you need to treat for coccidiosis.

We're going to have to do the entire flock because they have all been closely together. I can put two tablespoons in a gallon of water for all of them except the five older adult chickens that have been on the farm for years because they free range during the day so I have no way to make sure they drink the water.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Just thought I would post a quick update since it's been a little while. Ethel is going strong as ever. She is at her highest weight since this started back in January, she now weighs 4 lb 10 1/2 oz. We are still tube feeding her because we have not figured out anything with her beak yet. The crack that was in the side of the beak seems to have healed but there's apparently something else going on with her beak because she just can't eat. She does try but every time she picks up a bite of crumble she chatters or big real fast and quits as though she's frustrated. I hate the thought of having to tube feed her for the next 5 years, lol but we will certainly do it if need be. And, she might be going on a week-long vacation with me to Florida in October. I even got her a harness and might just take her and walk around the beach late at night. Lol

Back
Top Bottom