Chicken can't stand

Gobbles3

Chirping
Jan 3, 2021
Hi all,
This chicken and another one have hatched today and both cannot walk properly. They sort of shuffle around on the tops of their legs.
The picture below is the best I could get, the legs seem to be too far forward or something like that.
My question is: what can I try to fix it?
20231204_222459.jpg

Hmm, that is realy odd. I think that chicken could live a good life, but it does seem to be a little diffrent. I think you could try some sort of splint to keep the legs together and up, like for splayed leg. If the chick seems healthy otherwise, It can probably live. Do they have 4 toes? I can't tell from the photo.

Hmm, that is realy odd. I think that chicken could live a good life, but it does seem to be a little diffrent. I think you could try some sort of splint to keep the legs together and up, like for splayed leg. If the chick seems healthy otherwise, It can probably live. Do they have 4 toes? I can't tell from the photo.
Yes they have 4 toes.

Splay legs is when the legs are in normal position, but widely apart. This sounds more like the chick is walking on its hocks. Human B complex tablets crushed and fed 1/4 tablet daily, or a chick vitamin such as PolyVisol baby vitamins or Poultry Cell 2-3 drops daily may supply riboflavin when a chicken is having leg issues or a riboflavin deficiency. Get started on a vitamin with riboflavin right away. Are the feet pointing forward or to one side? Be sure to help the chick eat and drink until the legs are working.

Splay legs is when the legs are in normal position, but widely apart. This sounds more like the chick is walking on its hocks. Human B complex tablets crushed and fed 1/4 tablet daily, or a chick vitamin such as PolyVisol baby vitamins or Poultry Cell 2-3 drops daily may supply riboflavin when a chicken is having leg issues or a riboflavin deficiency. Get started on a vitamin with riboflavin right away. Are the feet pointing forward or to one side? Be sure to help the chick eat and drink until the legs are working.
The legs are facing forward

Back
Top Bottom