Chicken can't walk

tjmings

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
I recently had two silkies die and now I have another chicken that can't seem to move. She is eating and drinking but can't keep Jeramy up right. When I pick her up she holds one foot up to her chest with the other outstretched. I took her to the vets about 4 days ago and he could not see any injuries. Treated her for worms in case that was an issue. Seems more like a neurological issue to me. Any thoughts?

Quote:
While it is true that there is no treatment, it isn't likely that all of them will die.
hugs.gif

If I do not vaccinate and my flock is exposed to Marek's virus, will they all die?

Probably not. There are many, may variables at play that make an individual bird susceptible to the virus or not. Except in vvMDV+ infections (mutated forms, very virulent) approximately 60% of any unvaccinated flock might succumb. This number might be far less if the flock members have been bred for immunity, and have natural resistance the the virus... or might be far more in the flock members are particularly weak against it.

Due to genetics and many other variables, some breeds seem much more susceptible to Marek's than others. Particularly vulnerable breeds include: silkies, Polish, (others?).

Im just telling you how it is.Its very rare for chickens to survive mareks and if so they will be carriers for life and in times of stress there immune system may weekend and mareks will attack again.How old are they?

Last edited:
I recently had two silkies die and now I have another chicken that can't seem to move. She is eating and drinking but can't keep Jeramy up right. When I pick her up she holds one foot up to her chest with the other outstretched. I took her to the vets about 4 days ago and he could not see any injuries. Treated her for worms in case that was an issue. Seems more like a neurological issue to me. Any thoughts?
How cold are your Temps?.......Silkies get cold easy in Cold climates.......Possibly NOT Mereks at all.........

Diet plays a role, stress.......

I will try to help.....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom