Chicken Carriers... photos, dimensions, ideas?

SarniaTricia

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Southwestern Ontario Canada
I have been at a couple of shows and sales this year and learned a few things.....
I would like to spend the winter making show carriers for chickens.(and turkeys, but that is another thread)
Here are some photos of carriers I have made or seen.. My issue is that I did not take messurements of the other peoples carriers.
Mine:
1ft wide, 4ft long, 1.5 ft heigh.... we split the top, added dividers on the 4fts and added rope handles.
(We also made them in 2 ft lengths.)

Some I saw at the APA National Show in Woodstock, Ontario

The front on the one on top... the bars slide up

The top on this one slides out.

Please share your chicken carriers and photos of other carriers you have seen.
Thanks
Patricia

Last edited:
I have seen some really easy ones made out of rubbermaid totes. They cut holes in the top, and sides and stapled hardware cloth to the openings for air. The handles are already there. This is something really easy and cheap to do (if you can find the totes on sale!).

No pictures.. It's pretty easy to picture in your head.

Your first one looks fine. The problem with all these types of boxes is that they are made of wood frames which can get really heavy when moving the over long distances. (That's why you'll see folks also bring all kinds of carts).

I prefer plastic pet carriers. They are much lighter in weight than anything made of wood and will last for decades.

I do still have some old wooden ones, but when the last kid leaves home (2 years), I'm throwing them all in the burn pile!

Your first one looks fine. The problem with all these types of boxes is that they are made of wood frames which can get really heavy when moving the over long distances. (That's why you'll see folks also bring all kinds of carts).

I prefer plastic pet carriers. They are much lighter in weight than anything made of wood and will last for decades.

I do still have some old wooden ones, but when the last kid leaves home (2 years), I'm throwing them all in the burn pile!
That's what I use as well. I keep my eyes out on Kijiji often for cheap ones. However, most people ask for nearly as much as new!

I have enough to take 17 birds to show. Think that's plenty for now :p

Nice carrier, but you may want to replace the chicken wire that is on the sides (even more if you intend to show). The first thing your bird will do in that cage, is shred it's lovely tail. This is why most carriers do not use chicken wire (or other thin types), despite it being lighter. From what I have seen the smaller wooden carriers and plastic pet carriers tend to be the nicest.

Last edited:
I was able to pick up 2 medium plastic pet carriers off of freecycle for nothing. These work the best for us. Depending on what I have, and how far we are going, I usually put 2 birds in each. My friend has a wooden one and it gets HEAVY. I prefer the plastic. I can also stack them easily in my van and secure with tie downs in my van.

I do have a couple of cat carriers and I like those.
They are expensive, even 2nd hand.

I am removing the chicken wire and putting thin plywood or panel board on the 2ft versions.
I am keeping the wire on one side of the 4 ft, for sales.... it may do the feathers a bit of damage, but it shows the birds nicely.

I am also freecycling pallets to make boxes like the last one, but with slats instead of plywood.... yup, a bit heavier, but I think of the poor birds, riding in the back of my truck, tarped and it is raining... a bit more protection... I am going with a bit heavier for my piece of mind.

I have a friend who shows her turkeys... She wanted to look at getting a box or two to transport them... same reasons as above..
Maybe I will make her some and trade her for her Marans flock she is thinking of getting rid of!!

Good morning folks
Patricia

I make mine out of hard wood dowel rods and 1x1 pine or hemlock. They are 36"x24"x11" and I make and sell them to. I also make a quail/pigeon carrier the same way.

Back
Top Bottom