Chicken cleaning

Smaller coop or higher concentration of birds in a space = more frequent clean outs.

I clean out my coop twice a year, but once a year would probably be enough. I don't do anything to the run, it maintains itself well enough. I pick up obvious poops daily, especially under the roosts.

The size of the coop really does matter, but also the humidity and climate. If it stinks do something, if it doesn't you are probably doing fine.

DRY is more important that warm or clean. Chickens do best if they are dry.

If you sprinkle the top of your bedding with scratch, they will tear that bedding apart, breaking up all the poops so they dry out, and the next morning you would think someone put fresh bedding in there. Just saying.

Mrs K

The size of the coop really does matter, but also the humidity and climate. If it stinks do something, if it doesn't you are probably doing fine.

DRY is more important that warm or clean. Chickens do best if they are dry.

If you sprinkle the top of your bedding with scratch, they will tear that bedding apart, breaking up all the poops so they dry out, and the next morning you would think someone put fresh bedding in there. Just saying.

Mrs K
Thank you for that. Ours is really dry and clean all the time but some of the girls have decided to spend time in there during the day so I have to clean the poo a few times a day in there.

I clear out the shavings usually no more often than once a month, and less in the winter. The run sorta has to take care of itself. I only spray the coop once in a while. I have had these girls for almost eleven months and only deep-cleaned once.

For the little coop, I clean more often. I am dealing with an ant infestation in that run. Any suggestions about that?

We do have a run that we attach to that daily that isn’t in the picture but we are in the process of moving them to a big enclosure. We have 5 hens and a cockerel.
Hopefully a bigger coop too....6 birds will not be happy or healthy sleeping in there.

Guessing you live in the UK, because of the bedding product you linked, but.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1596809381417.png

When my coops are at capacity, I clean weekly, half capacity biweekly. No poop boards here.View attachment 2278570
My coops are small 7 and 6 LF chickens. The 7 chicken coop shown currently has 3 chickens, so gets cleaned every 2 weeks.
My chickens only eat and sleep in the raised coops. They have a partially covered run and under coop protection from the elements.View attachment 2278576
I thoroughly clean nests monthly, or immediately if soiled or an egg breaks. GC

So are you saying you remove and replace wood chips weekly??

Hopefully a bigger coop too....6 birds will not be happy or healthy sleeping in there.

Guessing you live in the UK, because of the bedding product you linked, but.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2280150
The coop is fine I believe as it has three roosting bars inside of it. Yes we’re in the UK so very average summers and winters, nothing too extreme.

Back
Top Bottom