Chicken cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hens rule, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    My almost 6 year old Buff Orpington hen Cupcake is breathing heavy and has a watery nose. I just noticed yesterday although I think she may have had this a few days before I really noticed it. Yesterday it was just a tiny squeak o her nose like a slight wheeze. Today she's breathing much heavier and has a watery nose and watery eyes. Non of the other hens have any of these. I thought maybe egg bound from the breathing and tail moving so I checked she isn't egg bound but her belly feels like a mid full water balloon. :/ What does she have?

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea, I am new here. Just replying to bump this up so maybe you get an answer. Good luck

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your BO! :-( Chicken's don't get colds, they DO get deadly respiratory infections though! It's really important to separate her immediately. Get her inside and keep her warm, dry with fresh food and water (electrolytes and vitamins added)

read this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...charge-watery-eyes-and-lethargic-but-no-smell

Keep us posted. Get her quarantined right away.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.

What color is her poop?
    How long since she laid her last egg?
    Any crop issues - is she pooping and the crop is empty in the morning?

The watery nose and eyes are a bit puzzling, but the water balloon abdomen, tail movement and heavy breathing along with her age, IMHO, would point to an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

Some people have limited success in draining the fluid from the abdomen (18gauge needle). This may give her some relief with her breathing and make her more comfortable. Supportive care is sometimes the best you can do. Keeping her hydrated, adding some poultry vitamins to her water and making sure she is eating. Antibiotic treatment is usually not successful in treating these types of problems.

Keep us posted.

5. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thank you for your answers!
    Her poop is brown and it looks normal. Her crop does empty in the morning. She hasn't layed a egg in a while.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she any better?

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Yes her breathing is normal today. Her eyes and nose seem better to. I think I just need to clean my coop.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she is breathing better.

Sometimes opening the coop up, giving it a good cleaning, etc. is a good idea. It's amazing how much dust those hens create.

I hope she continues to do well.

9. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    She was doing better but today she is breathing heavy again. She is acting normal so it's confusing to me. She doesn't sneeze that much I only heard her sneeze once today. My others aren't showing symtoms.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well.

Is her abdomen still swollen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by