Chicken comb is pale! what does it mean!?

k3ti3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
NYC, ny
Just went down to check out my 7 month old production reds, and i saw that both of their combs are pale on the top and get darker as it nears their beaks. I don't imagine it's frostbite, because they are hardy and currently living in the basement due to the 2 degree weather. I just want to know if it's serious or not. than you!
D.gif

Are they laying currently? If not, it's normal for combs to be paler then when they are in lay. Other considerations... Have they ever been dewormed? A load of parasites can cause pale combs as well. Also check carefully for mites.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Combs change colors for all kinds of reasons. It is hard to see in your pic but the skin could be just dry. Dry skin can cause combs to pale a bit. The lack of blood flow as if they are just sitting quietly will cause blood to leave the comb.

Health reasons can cause pale combs as well including sickness of any kind or worms. Molting will cause a comb to go pale.

Rub a bit of vaseline into the comb and see how red it really is. Of course keep your birds wormed on a regular basis and keep tabs on their health otherwise.

If you do have sick birds, you can post in our emergency section for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

They are currently laying and i will check for worms. but they indoor birds in winter so do worms still apply? sorry , I am very uneducated on this, im new

Do these birds ever go outside? If they do, even for a few minutes can pick up worms.

Some types of parasites are always in the intestinal tracks of birds. You might get a poop sample from your birds and take it to your vet. Even if they don't treat chickens, they can usually do a scan of any poop to check for worms.

Do these birds ever go outside? If they do, even for a few minutes can pick up worms.

Some types of parasites are always in the intestinal tracks of birds. You might get a poop sample from your birds and take it to your vet. Even if they don't treat chickens, they can usually do a scan of any poop to check for worms.
Okay,the last time they went outside was on on dec 4th, so they might have picked something up. I will check

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

If your birds have been living inside, that may be the reason for the pale comb and wattles. I've noticed that my birds lose color in their combs when they come inside. The sunlight helps brighten them back up again.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

X2 on Wyandottes7. As long as your hens are acting normal otherwise, they're probably fine. Comb color varies greatly.

Back
Top Bottom