Chicken compatible dog breed

Quote:
No - they were farm dogs and bred to fight - to defend the property and then used in dog fights by gamblers too. Or so I understand...

here is a pic of my guy - Hoagy - he is an escape artist unfortunately but a lovely guy otherwise.

ohawholebuncharoundxmas093.jpg

and another asleep...
PIC00012.jpg

Quote:
Actually Shar-Pei were utility dogs for the Chinese peasants. They were used for hunting, herding, guarding and food if needed. Later they were tried as pit dogs (fighting) but never did well as they didn't have the heart for it. I know shar-pei that have excelled at herding and hunting and most are good guard dogs and excellent family dogs.

Sorry, this was my former breed, I showed and bred them for 12 years, so I had to jump in.
smile.png

We have 2 Scottish terriers. Both have been introduced to our chicks since since the chicks were 1 day old. They get excited when they first see them in the morning, just like they do when they see their other friends. They have never tried to bite or hurt them. Sometimes they run around with them and play that's all. The chicks are 7 weeks old now. Here is a pic of them being introduced to the chicks.
14375_dsc00155.jpg

15563_miscelleneous_summer_08_030.jpg

I dont know if this is working, my first picture, but LaBanan, I wanted to show you my escape artist. Too much skin to keep this guy on a leash.

Quote:
Actually Shar-Pei were utility dogs for the Chinese peasants. They were used for hunting, herding, guarding and food if needed. Later they were tried as pit dogs (fighting) but never did well as they didn't have the heart for it. I know shar-pei that have excelled at herding and hunting and most are good guard dogs and excellent family dogs.

Sorry, this was my former breed, I showed and bred them for 12 years, so I had to jump in.
smile.png

Thanks Vicki! I didn't think they were much as hunters. I'm crazy about my guy - he has always been easy to train except for if he gets away. I know that sounds nuts but I even hired a trainer who said - this dog knows how to do everything and just chooses to run when given the chance. We've tried everything to get him to stay but now we just use preventative measures - he didn't even mind being shocked by the invisible fence! It drives me bats when he gets away but that is the price I have to pay for him. He doesn't go far - flirts around the edges of our property until he gets tired or hungry or beat up by racoons or porcupines. argghhh! Oh well - he is seven - he'll have to settle down sometime.

Jan

Quote:
What a cutie pie! And gets a nice chair too. Yep the too much skin thing is something we deal with. I was out in the woods with him once and we saw a gorgeous buck - he shriggled out of his collar so fast!
Jan la banan

What type of collar do you use? I always used choke collars for my shar-pei. If we were working, it was a metal one, if we were just walking, around the house, etc. it was a nylon choker. These are much harder to back out of as they tighten up.

I have had a few over the years that loved to run. I also did rescue and those were the worst offenders usually. A couple of things I learned.

DO NOT CHASE THEM!! This is what they want, it is a game!! (this was hard with rescues because if new, they might keep running, so we had to give chase).

DO NOT YELL AT THEM!! They are smart and are not going to come back to be yelled at or spanked for running off. Squat down (less threatening) and call them like you are soooo excited!! Clap your hands, and act like an idiot, like they are missing out on so much fun!! If they come, praise them like crazy!! Yep, hard to do when you are mad at them, but it works.

My personal favorite, falls under the do not chase. Instead of chasing on foot, follow in your vehicle, if you dog likes to go for rides. This type of chasing is different. I would usually follow, actually pass the dog, pull over, open the door and call them. "Want to go for a ride????" They usually jump right in!!

These things almost always worked except for one die hard runner (rescue) that I had. He had been picked up by animal control after someone caught him in their garage. He was starving, had ever kind of parasite known, was not nuetered and his collar was embedded in his skin. The staff cut the collar off and pulled in out and he licked their face! They called and said, he is ugly, but he deserves a chance. That boy was a bolter. If a door opened a crack, he would shoot through, knocking you out of the way and off he would go. When trying to catch him, he wanted to come to you, but was scared and didn't trust humans. After 6 months, he neck was healed, he was parasite free, his coat was shiny, he had gained 10-15 pounds and he no longer bolted. I still don't think he would come easily if loose, demons haunted him, but he had learned not to bolt. He went to a wonderful family with 2 little girls, whom he adored. They had a very secure fence and he was a happy boy!

I've got three dogs - the Pug hangs out with the chickens all day if we are outside too, she is great with them. When I throw down the scraps for the birds, the dogs linger around and try to see what goodies were tossed out... On my blog there is a film clip of their interaction... Lily Pug is not supposed to eat grapes, but she wrestled them away from the hens just the same.

Our Vizsla killed a baby chick when they were just a few weeks old -he snuck in the room where they were being raised, my fault, and got the rowdiest of the bunch (most likely was a roo). After that, he is still excited by them, but he does not chase them. He is a bird dog, after all, so I know it is hard for him. Our other dig is a pitt bull/dalmation mutt who is awesome with the birds. As a rescue dog he understands the order of humans first, dogs second (which the Vizsla will never comply with). Once we showed the mutt the chicks, he understood they were ours and not for him. He kills raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, everything else -but leaves the free ranging chickens alone, yay!

I have heard about people who raise a pup in with the chicks from the beginning so he knows his job is tending them.... No sleeping inside on the boys beds for them.... If we ever do the chick/dog thing again from scratch we might do it that way.

Quote:
My JRT killed one of our guinea pigs and would have killed our chickens too if he could have gotten to them. If it has terrier in the name it's a hunter. We'll either get a Great Pry mix some sort of shep mix or a little fluff ball this next time around.....

How do labs/labradoodles do w/small animals?

Back
Top Bottom