Chicken compatible dog breed

ChickenLuva

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
MA/NH border
Hi! We currently have a 3 year old Chocolate Lab who was born on a chicken farm and raised with chickens at our home since she was a puppy. She loved to chase them when she was really young, but we've gotten past that and now they all peacefully co-exist. Truth be told, I've seen the chickens charge her a couple of times when she was being particularly annoying and she's run away.

We're thinking of getting a puppy for our dog, but I can't bear the thought of another large dog. She is a big handful at 80+lbs. I was thinking of a small to medium dog, but wondered what type of dog would be safe around the birds and young children. I was thinking that you all might be a good resource for that info. Any suggestions?

I have 5 dogs--2 yorkie-poos, 1 shihtzu, 1 golden retriever, and one wheaton terrior. All are great with chickens except the wheaten. He wants to eat them. lol But my others are GREAT!! They go in their coop, lay down, and just completely leave them alone. Every once i awhile they enjoy sniffing a chicken butt, but that's about it!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Australian Shepherds! Mindy was 10 months old when we got our first chickens. She had already become very protective of our children and had killed her first groundhog at age of 9 mos. When the chicks came home we were all there to lift the lid. Mindy's first reaction wa to snap up a chick....I was just as fast and grabbed her nose and said " NO! ". She looked me in the eye and I looked her right back. Everyone else were holding their breaths. She opened her mouth, the chick fell out unhurt. She never hurt another chick nor would she even eat fried chicken again! She protected the flock on several occassions from wild critters and neighbors dogs. She was special. She is gone now but we have 2 Australian Shepherd mix dogs and they are very protective of our current flock.

Ginger and Skippy watching our chicks. Skippy watches the sky constantly for hawks and buzzards. I just wish he had a 9 year old boy that could keep up with him.
12167_ginger_and_chicks_080108.jpg

Thats interesting info because I just recently asked my husband about the wheaton terrier. My concern, with any terrier, is that a breeder once reminded me that they are bread to hunt and kill small creatures. At the time, she was warning me against getting a terrier with children under the age of 2 in the house. Do you feel like you need to watch it when its around the birds? My chicks like to roam the yard so that may be a tall order for me.

Quote:
How big does the Australian Shepard get? We have some friends that have been considering this breed. I'm not sure how easily they have been able to find them right around our area. I'll have to check into it.

Quote:
I do not trust my Wheaton at all! He would kill them in a split second if given the opportunity. He just can't be trusted...but he's a total love bug with my kids...lets them lay on him and loves to snuggle with them...we just have to walk him in a leash outside if the chickens are out free ranging.

I have a retired racing greyhound. Yes talk about a high prey drive animal. My first greyhound thought ducks were there for his entertainment (no we didn't have any, but at meet and greets sometimes we did see some). Anyway, my current grey is afraid of his own shadow. I can turn him loose in the yard unmonitored with free ranging chickens without a worry.

I will admit though that I never trust a dog alone with chickens though. I don't like the possible risk.

Back
Top Bottom