Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SixPack, Apr 12, 2016.
Chickens will eat styrofoam so it would need to be covered/sealed between the walls.
Yep! I was aware that I would have to protect the insulation if I used some in the roosting boxes
Hell, sometimes when I see it I just wanna eat it myself! Yummy stuff
Well, I'm still on the fence as to go bigger or not...
I might just stick to 5x5 for my current location.. Hmm... :$
My dad dropped by this morning , gave me some old glass he held onto from when he worked at some glass place in the 70's.
It's pretty heavy thick stuff, and laminated. My dad claims its bullet proof glass. Hahaha
Who knows... But I'm going to use the three pieces of glass for Windows none the less.
Framed a wall that will accept two of them this morning. Hopefully get some more done today, weather is nice.
In that last pic the wall is just sitting there, not attached.
I set it aside and flipped the floor over. Nailed used/salvaged high density 1" foam on with roofing nails.
Then taped a couple seams, spray foamed it and got my 8 year old daughter to put tuck over all the nails/holes.
Then I sheeted it in with some thin crappy boards that were kicking around. Should be enough to keep the critters from getting at the insulation.
Then put a couple 2x4's between the two cedar beams that the floor sits on.
Got the floor flipped back over the right way again and almost got the second wall up.
Still a couple hours of daylight left, but ambition is starting to run low.
Productive day overall tho
Second wall up, it still needs a couple things done to it. This is the wall that will have the exterior roost boxes.
Next step will be to level the floor a bit maybe, then build a couple more walls.
But that's enough building for today!
Built the other couple walls, framed them right in place. Used the off cuts to do an extra layer of 2x4's ontop of the walls. Overlapped the corners to tie the box together better. Overkill I'm sure but didn't take long.
In this pic you can see the back wall, with the spot for the chicken door. The third window will go directly above it.
It was actually quite funny when my wife and I went to get the lumber. Without a blueprint or drawn out plan I wasn't sure what we needed for materials. Bought 30 8 foot 2x4's and managed to get them all in the car and shut the trunk :$
Pretty much took all 30 to get this far.
Not much scrap!
A few more days off work starting tomorrow, hope the weather cooperates and I can get some work done on the coop.!!
Lookimg forward to designing and building the roof system.
I'll add pics if all goes well and progress happens:
All 6 birds are doing great! Crazy how much they have grown in just 9 days.
Wife and kids are doing a great job looking after them! It's the least I can do to get their coop up and functional.
Hope everyone is well in backyard chicken land!
Got quite a bit done today! First thing I moved the hen house one last time, and squared it up with the existing shed.
Then went to pickup a few 2x6's for the roof. And the local hardware store had 1x6 tongue and groove spruce on sale, so for about 50$ I bought some and sheeted it in with that.
I plan to extend the roof to the right..
"Looks funny currently"
So the two nest boxes have a roof overhead for winter.
Like I said it's an evolving plan.. But I'm getting excited to see how it turns out...
Tomorrow sounds like rain, might be a good day to gather up some more materials to finish this thing up!
Yes..... yes, it does.
Slanty shanty indeed!
The weather has been damp and cool with rain on and off.
Haven't been able to get out there and work in the shack really.
I did take half an hour to get the outside posts upright and square "ish"
Just used scrap boards for now to hold them in place.
Gotta put a beam between them now and then carry on with the roof!
So not much.. But progress none the less.
The outside posts are rough poplar 4x4's, I had to shave them down a bit with the chainsaw to get them to fit into the concrete blocks .