Chicken compound build thread.

It is pretty small, just basing it off the 3 to 4 square feet per bird theory.
It gets very cold through the winter months and I am not going to be heating it. So I built it just big enough for 6 birds. "I hope" so they can retain what body heat they need.
The roosting boxes will be built off the side of the hen house.
But I have never had chickens.. Is 5x5 to small for 6?

I think it is too small for 6, especially in a harsh climate.

My birds can spend several sessions of days at a time not ever leaving the coop over the winter.
They can get cranky if crowded.

Your theory of the coop 'holding body heat' is faulty, adequate ventilation prevents that.

Check out the articles linked in my signature on Space and Ventilation.

Okay fair enough, thanks.. I'll do some more reading, and expand my floor a bit of I have to.
What would you consider a minimum healthy size for 6 birds?
Thanks for being honest in your opinion, I've learned to many lessons the hard way! And respect your experience and knowledge:)

I would go as big as possible...6x8 min....it's not just the (first) 6 birds......

It's the storage of feed and supplies right there where you need them,
which is nice to have separated from the birds area.

It's the additional birds you will want in the next year or so.....it takes extra room to integrate new birds.

Yet again nice to have a separate area for new chicks, sick bird, broody bird, bad bird.
A temporary wire wall can work wonders...I designed one into my coop, with a separate people door, best decision I made. Check out My Coop page too.

You can probably whip out a coop real quick with your skills,
but you might be happier in the long run if you take some time to plan for the future.

I live in a cold climate. Don't put the nest boxes hanging on the side for easy access, the eggs freeze quick.

Yes indeed! Bigger is better! And a bit of info I left out was that I'm going to be selling my current house/property in 2 or 3 years max.
So I don't wanna build to big of a setup, or invest to much time and money into it to leave it behind.
The 12x 16 shed can account for storage of food, water, and maybe I could build a small pen within incase I get a sick bird etc..
The small hen house can be transported to my next location which will be long term.
If I'm still into the chicken program I can expand then, and maybe use the 5x5 or whatever it ends up as a nursery.
Don't really plan on going past 6 birds while living here.
But if I do catch the bug bad I could keep a pile of birds in the 12x16 shed haha:)

Also thanks for the info on not haveing the exterior roost boxes in cold climates..
I wonder, granted the hen house was ventilated properly, if 1.5"styrofoam insulating the roost box walls would do the trick..
I may just have to wake up tomorrow and rethink that floor, and add on..

All 6 chicks seem energetic, eating and drinking well! Cute little buggers:)

If you do insulate,you will have to cover it or the birds will eat the insulation. If your run is large enough and well protected from weather and predators you might be able to get by with the small coop. Aggression can be a real problem if they are crowded.

We've over wintered 5 hens and a rooster in a double walled insulated 6x6 with no run and had no major issues (they were pretty much restricted to the coop from December-April) but we are building a larger coop for them this summer. We need more room for roosts and feed. It got pretty cramped and difficult to get in and clean.

......... It got pretty cramped and difficult to get in and clean.
Another good reason for bigger. ;- )

I'm just spoiled and lucky enough to have been able to build my coop in an existing 16'x16' building with an insulated floor.
If I had had to build from scratch, chickens probably wouldn't have happened,
tho I did build extended eaves onto the roof when reshingling became necessary a couple years prechickens.
Being older and arthritic, ease of maintenance was critical for me.Having full shelter from the weather while chicken choring is a huge blessing.

Back
Top Bottom