Chicken compound build thread.

Prior to building the windows, I angled the bottom plate of the window jam a bit with the chainsaw..
So worst case water gets in there, it should run out.

Got the third window installed, and vapour barrier this afternoon. Hope to have a door on it tomorrow and the flooring glued down as well.

So I need you people of backyard chicken lands opinion..
The side shed roof that goes over the "to be built/installed" nesting boxes. Was an afterthought once I realized how much steel I roof in I had.
So currently there is a decent gap between the wall and the roof on that side, I can frame a little walk and a couple of boards I sheet it in easy enough.
But would it be worth my time to have the ability to open this section up. Like a removable panel for hot weather ventilation?
None of the windows open.. But I am going to put ventilation in the door .
Thanks for feedback.
This is the section here I'm thinking about

I'd leave all eaves open(but covered with hardware cloth) for ventilation....and add gable vents to complete the efficiency.
Being able to close it partially off if you have winter winds blowing snow and/or a feather ruffling draft on roost area would be good too.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Oki! Good info fellas .
I'm in newbrunswick Canada , cold winters, and Hott summers!

The chicks are one month old today!
Hope to have them in their home in the next two days!
Painting crew showed up today
1f642.png

And I'm just working on the man door now.

Got the door built, minus a few pieces of trim/casing and the upper part needs a window installed still.
But progress none the less...
I went into this telli myself i was gonna build a simple, efficient, cheap hen house and get on with other tasks..
But I'm to fussy/slow... And ya dragging on a bit more then I would like.. Hahaha
But it will be built to last regardless.

Would make a good sauna, or an ice fishing shack hahah
Through June July and August we see temperatures as high as 34degrees Celsius, and very humid heat being in the maritimes.
Makeing it feel like 40 some days.

Back
Top Bottom