Chicken Confusion

The fertilized eggs are just like normal eggs. I had my mom crack an egg the other day because she thought she seen a baby growing and I had to ask her “Are you serious Mom?!” Had to explain to her that the chickens don’t grow unless they are triggered to grow by a certain environment and even if it was in that environment it had literally been laid thirty minutes before we ate it and I had to ask her how fast she thought chickens grew. :) Oh my mom. She is hilarious.
Lol - your moms awesome. Sounds obvious to you pros, but for newbies like me the doubt is real!

Afterall, you've heard those stories of people cracking store bought eggs to find a fertilized one..... that'd be me

No kidding. What makes you think the white is a roo????
The longer tail feathers but some hens do get longer tail feathers and it makes it hard to tell sometimes especially when chickens are mixed. I’ve noticed that the feral hens in the town next to me have long fan like tail feathers. Can’t really say for sure until you hear them crow. Where did you get them? If you bought them from a personal seller they are probably roosters. I would like to think people make honest mistakes most of the time but a lot of the more seasoned chicken owners seem to agree that they are both roosters so who ever you bought them from were probably able to tell too and it’s not difficult for me at all to get rid of extra roosters but I live in and am surrounded by farming towns. If it’s not like that where you are people may lie to get rid of their extra roosters because even one too many roosters can be a pain in the butt.

The longer tail feathers but some hens do get longer tail feathers and it makes it hard to tell sometimes especially when chickens are mixed. I’ve noticed that the feral hens in the town next to me have long fan like tail feathers. Can’t really say for sure until you hear them crow. Where did you get them? If you bought them from a personal seller they are probably roosters. I would like to think people make honest mistakes most of the time but a lot of the more seasoned chicken owners seem to agree that they are both roosters so who ever you bought them from were probably able to tell too and it’s not difficult for me at all to get rid of extra roosters but I live in and am surrounded by farming towns. If it’s not like that where you are people may lie to get rid of their extra roosters because even one too many roosters can be a pain in the butt.
Thank you for your honesty! We adopted them both as 2 week olds olds from my little ones kindergarten class so they would not be sent for "processing" after they learned about egg hatchings. Teacher said they should be females, so we hoped and prayed. Then "dark meat" started crowing. Nothing from "light meat" yet.

Thank you for your honesty! We adopted them both as 2 week olds olds from my little ones kindergarten class so they would not be sent for "processing" after they learned about egg hatchings. Teacher said they should be females, so we hoped and prayed. Then "dark meat" started crowing. Nothing from "light meat" yet.
Well I guess as much as it is true that you shouldn’t count your eggs before they hatch you should also never count your hens before the crow ha ha!

Back
Top Bottom