Chicken Coop 3rd Dimension :)

When did I say I was going to put 55 birds in a coop? That reference was in regards to the chicken run area. You should attempt to build a friendly community, not salty know it alls. I built an awkward tall chicken coop 3 years ago when I was starting with chickens. It was based on me being able to stand in the coop and the rest of the design followed.

So, my thought/question was referring to the height. I realize now this was not obvious in my title "the 3rd dimension". Everyone focuses on LxW sq feet, I was wondering if anyone included height into their equation LxWxH cubic feet.

I do feel my tall coop could house more than 12 birds, but agree 24 is past the limit.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, unless you build a second story in your coop, height is not going be be a determining factor when it comes to how many chickens your set-up can hold comfortably. Lots of roosting space helps, but the floor foot print is really what you want to look at. There will be points in the day and year where all the chickens will want to be inside, but not up on the roosts. You really want to look at your weakest link as your maximum, which by your reckoning would be 17-25. I would not have more than 12-15 birds in that area personally. I agree with some of the other posters that your highest roost look dangerously high and hard for the chickens to jump off of - mostly because of the limited head space above it.

Unfortunately, unless you build a second story in your coop, height is not going be be a determining factor when it comes to how many chickens your set-up can hold comfortably. Lots of roosting space helps, but the floor foot print is really what you want to look at. There will be points in the day and year where all the chickens will want to be inside, but not up on the roosts. You really want to look at your weakest link as your maximum, which by your reckoning would be 17-25. I would not have more than 12-15 birds in that area personally. I agree with some of the other posters that your highest roost look dangerously high and hard for the chickens to jump off of - mostly because of the limited head space above it.
I like your weakest link theory, makes sense.. And of course the highest perch is where all the birds want to go. I will look to modify my perches. Thanks for your input.

I have 21 that are coming up on 12 weeks of age. They roost in an 8 x 8 coop with zero obstructions on ground, and have 24-7 access to 450 square foot run. So far they are getting along swimmingly, but I suppose that might change. The goal was 15, but six extra showed up.

My run is also long and narrow. I think (just my theory here, and I'm a newbie, so feel free to correct me if necessary) this helps, at it allows them to gain the greater physical distance from one another than in a square. It also has allowed more perimeter on which to mount day-time perches, as well as spread out feeding stations (2) and watering stations (3 sets of 3 horizontal nipples). There's really no need for them to ever be on top of one another with what I've done.

Technically my run exceeds minimum at 20 sq ft / bird, and my coop is woefully in adequate 3 sq ft / bird. But I think it's going to work out. Coop as 32 feet of roost real estate, and 5 external nesting boxes with zero obstructions on floor of 8 x 8 coop, so it's 100% available real estate. I hope these attributes plus unlimited access to run will prove adequate for our 21 (not 15) chickens! ;-)

Everyone focuses on LxW sq feet, I was wondering if anyone included height into their equation LxWxH cubic feet.

The one area that extra height really helps on (other than you being able to walk in) is added air volume, both standing air volume and potential ventilation space (more height = more potential space for vents) which can help when you have a bunch of birds in there making ammonia all night.

My run is also long and narrow. I think (just my theory here, and I'm a newbie, so feel free to correct me if necessary) this helps, at it allows them to gain the greater physical distance from one another than in a square.

Yes and no. It really depends on how "narrow" we're talking. While birds in a (let's say) 4x10 run could theoretically get about 10 3/4' away from each other, an issue could arise when the birds try to pass by each other. With only 4' of width that's close enough that a bossy bird could take offense at a low ranked bird trying to squeeze by to get to the coop, or to a feeder. So bumping that same run to 4x20, 4x30, doesn't fix the problem that it's simply too narrow.

Of course your narrow run could be much wider than that, I just came up with a measurement that could be a potential problem.

Wanted to update...I decided to add an addition.

Attachments

• 2020-08-09 16.34.06.jpg
    2020-08-09 16.34.06.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2020-08-09 16.30.47.jpg
    2020-08-09 16.30.47.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 2020-08-02 18.45.58.jpg
    2020-08-02 18.45.58.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 15
The one area that extra height really helps on (other than you being able to walk in) is added air volume, both standing air volume and potential ventilation space (more height = more potential space for vents) which can help when you have a bunch of birds in there making ammonia all night.

Yes and no. It really depends on how "narrow" we're talking. While birds in a (let's say) 4x10 run could theoretically get about 10 3/4' away from each other, an issue could arise when the birds try to pass by each other. With only 4' of width that's close enough that a bossy bird could take offense at a low ranked bird trying to squeeze by to get to the coop, or to a feeder. So bumping that same run to 4x20, 4x30, doesn't fix the problem that it's simply too narrow.

Of course your narrow run could be much wider than that, I just came up with a measurement that could be a potential problem.

Half of my run is 8 feet wide, and the other half is 7.5'. Good point on too narrow and an inability for them to pass each other. Length of about 50', plus 8 x 8 under coop.

I also agree on the narrow part in that I'd put the roosts either diagonally from one wall to another or along the most narrow wall. I am only adding that due to my own experience. I bought a well-made pre-fab coop in that it's very sturdy, BUT my birds usually fly into the wall opposite of the roosts because it's too narrow. I am trying to build a new coop now, and the mistake in buying that one was that I didn't know diddly about chickens when I bought them.

My second comment was on the fencing around the run. It looked like from the picture the fencing you have now runs all the way to the ground? If I were you I'd aim to put at least 1/4" hardware on the lower half and 1/2" hardware on the upper. This is for numerous reasons. If you ever get babies (trust me, at some point in your future, chicken math will probably get you, and you'll have babies), then they will be able to fit through the current fence. In terms of predators, a weasel or similar predators can reach through gaps as small as 1/2". Unfortunately just this morning one got a neighbor's chicken through a window lined with 1/2" hardware and it wasn't pretty :( The entire weasel, and probably other predators, could fit through what you have now.

Aside from those little comments though, your coop really looks fabulous. Try not to dwell on your minuscule novice mistake of a "narrow" coop. Worst comes to worse, you'll just want an even bigger coop for more chickens :p

Back
Top Bottom