Chicken coop and run on top of pallets as flooring

Hi, I'm looking to add an additional layer of protection (predators) to my coop and run. I want to put 6 pallets as the flooring of my run, and in the middle put the coop already built. Build walls on the edges of the pallets and cover them with hardware cloth 1/2 inch. I have a few questions with this approach.

1. Do I still need an apron? Or can the pallets resist the digging under from racoons and foxes? Since they could dig and get to the under side of the pallets but would still need to break a 1 inch layer of wood (pallet boards, hardwood they seem like).
2. For a roof, what is better 1/2 inch hardware cloth and a tarp (for rain protection) or an OSB 1/2 inch thick with the tarp on top as well? Cost wise the OSB board would be cheaper but not sure what is better for predator prevention.

Cannot add picture in this post will see if I can add it in a reply

Please advice and thanks for your time
I took a bunch of pallets with the same intention and used them inside a metal shed with deep litter, then as the base of a quarantine coop, as well, with a floor and some predator proofing. Nothing but regret from me. I would consider using them as walls to keep raccoons out, covered with hardware cloth to keep rats out, but I'll never put them on the ground again. I haven't even HAD ducks or a garden for 3 years, but I have TONS of rats and bumble bee nests making use of the pallets with and without bedding. Make a nice puzzle for my terrier, but only headaches for me.

If you put the poly on top of the pallets, then add wood chips, the chickens will dig through the wood chips and tear up your poly. I've had hens dig holes 1 ft or more deep before. But you could put the poly down underneath the pallets over the dirt to keep moisture from getting into the pallets to begin with from the bottom.

If you build sides, then enclose the sides and top with hardware cloth, and add an apron, you should have few if any rodent issues. Sometimes they will dig under the apron, but I personally use a large apron (3.5 ft wide) to try and prevent that. It's worked for me so far.

Honestly, IMO, the easiest thing to do is keep them on dirt, with wood chips or sand on top. But since you've already put down the pallets, you can try it and see what happens. Everyone's management style is a bit different. Best way to learn what works for you is to try different things and see how you like them. Good luck!
I agree I’ll put my chickens on Dirt I build up 1 foot sides like a raise bed around the inside house and throw all kinds of grass clippings leaves all kinds of things that will attack bugs and then that becomes a beautiful compost if they get done, digging it around and pooping in it
I Leegin, a 4 foot fence wire fence around the perimeter of the outside of the pen and lower grass to grow over it. Not many animals wanna dig 4 feet in.

Back
Top Bottom