Chicken coop and run on top of pallets as flooring

I was planning to use 6 mil poly on top of the pallets to prevent moisture from seeping up, on top of that woodchips to provide a nice flooring for the chickens and some sand to allow for dust baths and poop to dry. I know I would eventually be dealing with pallets rotting but I have quite a few on my property that have been 2+ years with no issues, so I wouldn't mind updating the floors later on with more free pallets if they last 2-3 years average, so my only concern would be the rodents.

Wondering if the apron would take care of that or should I scrap the pallets all together?

If you put the poly on top of the pallets, then add wood chips, the chickens will dig through the wood chips and tear up your poly. I've had hens dig holes 1 ft or more deep before. But you could put the poly down underneath the pallets over the dirt to keep moisture from getting into the pallets to begin with from the bottom.

If you build sides, then enclose the sides and top with hardware cloth, and add an apron, you should have few if any rodent issues. Sometimes they will dig under the apron, but I personally use a large apron (3.5 ft wide) to try and prevent that. It's worked for me so far.

Honestly, IMO, the easiest thing to do is keep them on dirt, with wood chips or sand on top. But since you've already put down the pallets, you can try it and see what happens. Everyone's management style is a bit different. Best way to learn what works for you is to try different things and see how you like them. Good luck!

My 2 cents...

Any wood exposed to the elements will rot away eventually leaving a great way to break an ankle as well as the nails that used to hold it together.
Rodents and snakes would really like that space to set up a comfy condo.

Use a floor for the coop and have the run be soil. Chickens scratch around. It is deeply ingrained for them to dig.

I have to agree with those that say this will be nothing but rodent shelter, so instead of excluding predators you're inviting in pests. You're also risking injuries to feet and toes if birds are digging around, break through the plastic and get caught in it (plastic or pallet). Just really a lot of extra work when you could go with a proper apron that'd exclude the predators, for less effort.

As far as the roof, you haven't mentioned snow load or rain. Tarps are famous for sagging with even a bit of rain so you have to slope them quite a lot to prevent pooling. 1/2" HWC isn't going to hold it up by itself so you're looking at substantial enough frame work that you might as well put in a solid roof, which would also address your predator concerns.

If you put the poly on top of the pallets, then add wood chips, the chickens will dig through the wood chips and tear up your poly. I've had hens dig holes 1 ft or more deep before. But you could put the poly down underneath the pallets over the dirt to keep moisture from getting into the pallets to begin with from the bottom.

If you build sides, then enclose the sides and top with hardware cloth, and add an apron, you should have few if any rodent issues. Sometimes they will dig under the apron, but I personally use a large apron (3.5 ft wide) to try and prevent that. It's worked for me so far.

Honestly, IMO, the easiest thing to do is keep them on dirt, with wood chips or sand on top. But since you've already put down the pallets, you can try it and see what happens. Everyone's management style is a bit different. Best way to learn what works for you is to try different things and see how you like them. Good luck!
I forgot to mention - my assumption is that snakes and/or small mice WILL enter my coop through the 1/2" hardware cloth. However, the chickens will kill them. Since my chickens have a dirt floor covered by wood chips, it will be easy for them to find, attack, and kill (and eat) these pests. If you put pallets on the ground so they can't access the dirt, it will provide a hiding space for these small pests and allow them to grow large enough to be a threat to your chickens.

As far as the roof, you haven't mentioned snow load or rain. Tarps are famous for sagging with even a bit of rain so you have to slope them quite a lot to prevent pooling. 1/2" HWC isn't going to hold it up by itself so you're looking at substantial enough frame work that you might as well put in a solid roof, which would also address your predator concerns.
We have lots of rain but as per the snow load it's never more than a few inches (6-10 max), I wouldn't mind going out in the middle of the storm to shovel the coop. We don't have more than 3-4 big storms in my area (this past winter we had only 1), and I love being outside when we do. I was planning to put a few 2 x 4s to hold/screw either the hardware cloth or a solid roof, so I don't think that would be a problem as per snow load rates.

I forgot to mention - my assumption is that snakes and/or small mice WILL enter my coop through the 1/2" hardware cloth. However, the chickens will kill them. Since my chickens have a dirt floor covered by wood chips, it will be easy for them to find, attack, and kill (and eat) these pests. If you put pallets on the ground so they can't access the dirt, it will provide a hiding space for these small pests and allow them to grow large enough to be a threat to your chickens.
This is something I will keep in mind, I guess it's the best bet to ditch the pallets and build the apron. We don't really have big snakes, and it's only a problem from June-August since our temps are not as warm as these guys like. As per mice I guess they could be there year round but not sure they can grow to a big size to pose a threat to chickens?

Thanks for everyone input so far!

We have lots of rain but as per the snow load it's never more than a few inches (6-10 max), I wouldn't mind going out in the middle of the storm to shovel the coop. We don't have more than 3-4 big storms in my area (this past winter we had only 1), and I love being outside when we do. I was planning to put a few 2 x 4s to hold/screw either the hardware cloth or a solid roof, so I don't think that would be a problem as per snow load rates.

This is something I will keep in mind, I guess it's the best bet to ditch the pallets and build the apron. We don't really have big snakes, and it's only a problem from June-August since our temps are not as warm as these guys like. As per mice I guess they could be there year round but not sure they can grow to a big size to pose a threat to chickens?

Thanks for everyone input so far!
I trapped some baby mice the other day (in my house - they can live in the fields all they want, but NOT in my house!) that would have fit through the 1/2" hardware cloth. Adult mice probably would not fit. Mice usually are more of a disease vector and they eat/infect the chicken food, rather than preying on chickens or eggs (rats are the ones that prey on chickens and eat eggs). Some chickens will ignore mice, others will kill them. I haven't seen mine kill mice or baby snakes, but they take care of large insects and worms pretty good, and I've heard of other folks' chickens eating them, so I think odds are good my chickens would catch a tasty treat.

If the mice are not present when you enclose the coop, and you do not free range (leave coop/run door open), then the only concern is if rats would make burrows under the apron into the coop, and then mice and snakes and mink/weasel would follow the rat burrows. The only way to totally prevent burrowing is have a concrete floor. But most folks go with dirt and just keep an eye out.

Any openings into the coop/run should be less than 1/2" wide at all joints/locations to prevent predator entry. I put stop boards up behind my doors, so that when my coop doors shut, they sit flush against the wood, and there are no openings. Where I can't/don't put stop boards, I make sure the gap is less than 1/2" in all directions.

Rat-proof feeders do exist if you need to put your feeders in a non-secure location.

As long as you can constantly clear the snow you'll probably do ok.

I have 2" heavy duty netting so it has to be cleared if we have wet, sticky snow, even if that means running out in the middle of the night to whack it with a broom, however we don't tend to get a lot of that.
As per mice I guess they could be there year round but not sure they can grow to a big size to pose a threat to chickens?
Mice are a pest but some chickens will eat them, so they're not a direct threat. They can however be vectors for disease.

Hi, I'm looking to add an additional layer of protection (predators) to my coop and run. I want to put 6 pallets as the flooring of my run, and in the middle put the coop already built. Build walls on the edges of the pallets and cover them with hardware cloth 1/2 inch. I have a few questions with this approach.

1. Do I still need an apron? Or can the pallets resist the digging under from racoons and foxes? Since they could dig and get to the under side of the pallets but would still need to break a 1 inch layer of wood (pallet boards, hardwood they seem like).
2. For a roof, what is better 1/2 inch hardware cloth and a tarp (for rain protection) or an OSB 1/2 inch thick with the tarp on top as well? Cost wise the OSB board would be cheaper but not sure what is better for predator prevention.

Cannot add picture in this post will see if I can add it in a reply

Please advice and thanks for your time
Just remember that pallets are NOT meant for ground contract. They rot fast if left on the dirt.

Be prepared to have to change them out periodically. Best way to do that is to make them smaller. Cut them in half. Cut the outer ends of the boards also. You don't want to risk stepping on an end and it snap.

I also recommend that you make it double use. Cover with some hardware cloth and dump a variety of grass/feed seed in there. I made a comment before on doing this with pics. You may want to consider doing it just around the perimeter as a grass bed.

If you have the room you can also make some raised planters around the whole coop and run. Plant things they love to eat. Make a tunnel cover with chicken wire to protect the pant from being totally eaten. Any parts of the plants that grow into the run will get eaten.

Last edited:
Just remember that pallets are NOT meant for ground contract. They rot fast if left on the dirt.

Be prepared to have to change them out periodically. Best way to do that is to make them smaller. Cut them in half. Cut the outer ends of the boards also. You don't want to risk stepping on an end and it snap.

I also recommend that you make it double use. Cover with some hardware cloth and dump a variety of grass/feed seed in there. I made a comment before on doing this with pics. You may want to consider ding it just around the perimeter as a grass bed.

If you have the room you can also make some raised planters around the whole coop and run. Plant things they love to eat. Make a tunnel cover with chicken wire to protect the pant from being totally eaten. Any parts of the plants that grow into the run will get eaten.
That would be great except I don't have any dirt to fill them up, around my area a small truckload is over $300 so its quite expensive. Pallets are free and at least last 2 years in my area, I've had a couple in an extremely wet spot and are still holding together, the area I was planning to put this ones has sunlight most of the day so they wouldn't be as wet. However, now I'm not sure I want to use the pallets anymore.

That would be great except I don't have any dirt to fill them up, around my area a small truckload is over $300 so its quite expensive. Pallets are free and at least last 2 years in my area, I've had a couple in an extremely wet spot and are still holding together, the area I was planning to put this ones has sunlight most of the day so they wouldn't be as wet. However, now I'm not sure I want to use the pallets anymore.
When I say raised planting bed I don't mean 2 ft tall. They can be 6 in high. A single layer of brick or rock or edging. A few bags of topsoil is all you need not a truck load.

Raised Bed from Reclaimed Brick to Grow Herbs • New Life On A Homestead

Back
Top Bottom