Chicken Coop? Any Thoughts?

nmab05

Chirping
Apr 9, 2012
This is an old custom cat house that I'd like to convert to a coop for my 4 girls. Dimensions are 4x4x8. I'd like to attach a run and add in nesting boxes as well as a side door for easier cleaning. Is it high enough off the ground? Any other thoughts?

Looks pretty good to me. I mean if people can convert kids playhouses and the like, then I can't see any reason that the cat house can't be a coop. What do you mean high enough off the ground? I've seen them built right on the ground. If you do want it higher, then I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to build a frame with legs under it to raise it as high as you want it. To be honest I've never seen a cat house. Can you put pictures of the inside. It does look like it would be hard to get the insides clean. Post updates pictures. I'd like to see the progress.

Thats hilarious!
A cat house?! I've never seen one either... looks like it'd make a cool coop tho! Height really doesnt matter I dont think.
Does it open up? Ventilation would be my only concern, unless there are windows on both sides that you can leave open...?

I have heard of a cathouse, but I have never heard of a Cat House...That was a first for me.

It looks like you're going to need a few more cement blocks to support the foundation, and the porch area. I don't know where your climate is, so without that I would have no idea how to approach getting your Cat House/Coop ready for all seasons.

Of primary consideration and for ease of use, you'll need to install an access door so that you can easily get to the inside of the coop to make repairs and clean it out. You can also use the same access point to collect eggs or build different access doors used for collecting eggs. The poultry will need a place to roost. You will need to decide is food and water going to be avalibale in the coop, outside the coop or both. And as a final thought...are you going to power the coop for lighting? Again that would be more influenced by your local climate & seasons.

This looks like a cool project and it could be an amazing coop for your flock. I look forward to photos of your progress.
cool.png

Thanks for the replies! I'm in Southern California so the only thing I was initially thinking was that it could be raised up more for ventilation underneath but I guess it's not a necessity. I definitely would want to add some type of front door, and roosting poles. I'd likely take out the plexiglass windows and add screen instead. I wonder if that would be sufficient for ventilation inside? If more is necessary, maybe I'll need to add some additional access doors with windows on the side???

I'd also like to cut out the back to add nesting boxes with a hinged lid for egg access. Some flower boxes in the front would be a nice touch and I think maybe a web cam inside so we can geek out and watch them from our computers. Haha

I love the idea of a web cam. Any idea of what kind of web cam people use for this sort of thing. I don't have any power going to my chicken house. Are there web cams that don't need power outlets (batteries used instead)?

So here are a couple of wireless cameras. Costco sells them but they're meant for home surveillance so they're pretty pricey. A lot of people use wireless ip cameras as baby monitors and you can check out what works best for you. Some come with night vision and motion detectors. I think it would need to charge into a battery pack. I'm going to check out some of the horse websites for ideas creating a "foal cam" which I will rename of course ;)

http://www.google.com/search?source...ireless+IP+Camera+FI8910W+&btnG=Google+Search

COSTCO:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=90607*4802*93304*&topnav=

Back
Top Bottom