Chicken coop build 8’ x 20’

Started the roof. Anytime we start something new, it takes us a bit to get in a groove. We watched a lot of roofing videos yesterday after we started 😂 Those darn ads on YouTube are really annoying when you have limited time. Should hopefully finish this evening.

3507BA13-ACB8-4353-AE10-5375CC317879.jpeg

The other side will have a gutter and water collection system.

The chickens spent their first night in the coop 👏. The gable flashing for the roof was left out of our order so it will be another week before we can add it and finish with the vented ridge. The tops of the nesting boxes are just tacked on until we can figure out how to finish. Everything is predator proof so we moved the pullets after they went to roost last night. We still have lots of small things left, but we are getting there.

048F7413-D0C7-4CDF-BFAC-E1EAD6D535F0.jpeg 10C1BE14-9041-4D80-AE0E-F830DAF35DA6.jpeg

Thank you! My husband has been really generous with his time and help on the coop build, but he is done with this project monopolizing all his time. He'll help with the rest of the roof and I'll finish the odds and ends on my own and get everything cleaned up.

Huge thank you to everyone who offered me advice. I'm a total novice when it comes to chickens and building. I am really proud of what we've built and we only made a couple of mistakes that I'm sure will be quickly forgotten about.

I just ordered some chicks and they'll be here in a month :) My plan was to use my TSC prefab as a brooder, but I hate that thing. I am selling it and will make something better. I'll probably have some questions when I get to that point.

I just built mine (90% done) and it occupied ALL of my time in an attempt to get it move-in ready before I went away last week. Partly because my daughter was watching the house for me and the smaller, temporary coupe was a P.I.A and to keep them happy as they outgrew that other one quickly. Still not done with mine, but I need a break from it, lol

I still need to work on the perch/landing step in front of the nest boxes. Would you recommend a 2x2 or 2x4? I’m leaning towards a 2x4 because that’s what I have laying around. As far as distance from box, is 5”-6” good?

I think a 2x4 in that spot is fine. It's more of a transition for them, not a roosting bar. And they will jump on anything anyway, so I'm sure it won't bother them at all, lol

I'd put it a "step or small hop" away. 4-6" is probably okay. Build, observe and modify as needed!

Back
Top Bottom