Chicken coop floor

funonahonda

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Central Ohio
Hello,
I'm new to the chicken thing, I am turning half of my shed into a coop so it will be 10x6 for 10 hens, the floor in the shed was made out of press board so I tore it out and had some composite decking left over from a project so I am goping to put it on the floor for my coop floor so it will be easy to clean, What do you yhink about that is that cool??

Do you mean like deck boards, rather than a big solid sheet? Boards would worry me, crud would quickly get wedged down in the crevices between 'em and pose a sanitary and mite-louse problem with no very good way to clean. I'd use exterior plywood with a coat of sealer or paint on it, or vinyl flooring on top of <whatever> (as long as the whatever is reasonably water resistant and won't just dissolve from trapped moisture).

Good luck,

Pat

We used peel and stick tile for our flooring. We then placed 2 bags of pine shavings on the floor using the deep litter method. This has worked out so easy and is easy to keep the floor clean; no ammonia smells ! Any wet areas are scooped out and placed in the compost pile. Good luck !!!
smile.png

Yes it is the composite decking that is like plastic, this decking you don't have to keep no gaps in it for expansion so there is no gap for stuff to collect and there will be stuff on the floor like straw or sawdust.

Last edited:
I've never used composite decking but since it's plastic it might work really well.

My suggestion is to use linoleum (as mentioned above) over the decking since that is so easy to clean.

I am considering either plywood with linoleum, or plywood with sealer paint. Paint seems cheaper, but linoleum would last longer.

If I had Trex Decking around, I think that would be great, but it would still have crevices where you would get build-up. Although, I'm sure it could be hosed out pretty easily.

Anyone else use planks? We have some really nice old wood planks that we want to use. Its the old kind of wood that no one can get anymore. I don't want to use the plywood for the floor.

Back
Top Bottom