Chicken Coop for colder climates and protection from predators

wyosara

Hatching
Apr 8, 2018
Hi there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good chicken coop that can keep raccoons out and protect chickens during cold winter months? I'd like to be able to move it around the yard if possible and a huge plus would be an easy to clean coop. I'm probably asking too much, but hoping someone out there might have a recommendation.

Thanks!

I would get a coop that has hardware cloth on the bottom so animals don't get in. My first coop had a slide out bottom to dump the shavings easier but it turned out to not really work at all. When I would pull out the tray bottom all the shaving in the back would fall into the chicken run . So my opinion is to not spend all you money on the slide out tray bottom, but instead invest on the hardware cloth.

Up here we have stoats, fox, coyote, skunk and raccoon. I agree with Krcismesia on the hardware cloth. We use the 1" x 1/2". Any smaller and the poop will not fall through. Any bigger and those predators can reach in and eviscerate your poor birds. We only have 4 months where our birds can be outside. In the Winter we have to put them into cages in the barn. Not idea in my book but even in a closed off room last year a stoat killed our entire flock. They only need a 1" x 1" gap or hole to find their way in. Even when you think you have it all covered they find a way. Especially in an old barn. My bantams live in hutches in my big bathroom in the Winter. Luckily by next Winter our utility addition will be complete. I'm gonna miss chatting with them during the morning constitutional :gig. Hey you gotta do what ya gotta do to survive.
In the warm months I have used Justin Rhodes "Chick Shaw" design with portable electric poultry fencing. Works well for us because of our hilly rocky ground. If I had flat ground I would definitely like one I could pull along the ground. You just need to take your environment into consideration (wind, land, temps) and your physical abilities to pick what style works best for you. Ps. don't break the bank either. The chickens don't care if it makes Better Homes and Gardens ;)

Hi there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good chicken coop that can keep raccoons out and protect chickens during cold winter months? I'd like to be able to move it around the yard if possible and a huge plus would be an easy to clean coop. I'm probably asking too much, but hoping someone out there might have a recommendation.

Thanks!
Welcome to BYC!
Something small and light enough to move around is not going to fair well in cold climates.
A large(8x10 or larger) walk in shed with good roof overhangs and open eaves for ventilation.
Knowing your climate would be most helpful.
Adding your location to your profile it easy, then it's always there!
upload_2018-4-9_8-56-32.png

Thanks!
A tractor, built to withstand predator attacks...no chicken wire... should fill the bill for you.

Back
Top Bottom