Chicken Coop in BASEMENT?

Crush

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Hi!

In the GTA it's becoming a problem with people having chickens in their backyards. We have slews of gov't workers in unions making $40 an hour with too much time on their hands so we can't put chickens in our backyard without getting a letter with threats within a day.

We do have lots of space in our basement though and can make a coup down there and control lighting, temperture, and air quality.

I'm interested in Cornish X.. but if they will be too noisy than a more docile breed.

I'd rather not put them in cages. I'd like them to roam around the ground. The floor is concrete.

Does anyone know how bad the noise/odor will be? I can install ventitlation.

If you were to do the same, how would you recommend someone go about this?

Thanks!

That sounds dangerous to me. I have had breathing problems just cleaning my outdoor coop and run. I wear a mask now anytime I clean. For your own good......look up lung diseases from Chickens. Then decide.

The smell would be terrible. You would have to have a very powerful ventilation/ filtration system that would be more expensive than it would be worth. They stink very very bad.

Not sure if thats a good idea. The smell would be horrible, not to mention the methane gas put off from the droppings. Even with a good daily cleaning would be tough at least. Maybe if you had 2 birds it might work. I have 5 chicks inside in the brooder, and clean their area daily, and they still smell. But if this is your only choice, good luck!!!

I would build what they call a Garage coop. free running in the house is nasty. stepping in their poo and all. I know it's just a basement. my EE is pretty quiet.

I brood in my basement, and kick them out when they really start to stink. I wouldn't want grown chickens pooping in my basement - phew. A breed like cornish is going to be eating more, growing faster, pooping more. Just something to think about...

Question for you:

You said you are interested in Cornish X. So I assume you are just going to raise them for 8 weeks and ship them? The smell from that breed of chicken is incredible. What goes in must come out and they eat a lot! I would not advise to raise meat chickens in your basement.

I had a friend who started her meat chickens in the basement and the feathers and dust was amazing. The stuff made its way upstairs. She had 25 meat chickens too.

I don't know about have a few laying hens, I would defintily check out lung diseases from chickens, like the other post said.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
I would avoid it at al costs.

Sounds like you should go after one of those Union jobs...
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I didn't know the smell would be that bad.

I dont see why I just can't have a coupe in my yard. It's big enough for lots of birds.

It's so unfair I can't do what I want in the privacy of my own home when it's hurting no one else
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom