Chicken Coop in BASEMENT?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Crush, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Crush

Crush New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    Hi!

In the GTA it's becoming a problem with people having chickens in their backyards. We have slews of gov't workers in unions making $40 an hour with too much time on their hands so we can't put chickens in our backyard without getting a letter with threats within a day.

We do have lots of space in our basement though and can make a coup down there and control lighting, temperture, and air quality.

I'm interested in Cornish X.. but if they will be too noisy than a more docile breed.

I'd rather not put them in cages. I'd like them to roam around the ground. The floor is concrete.

Does anyone know how bad the noise/odor will be? I can install ventitlation.

If you were to do the same, how would you recommend someone go about this?

Thanks!

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    That sounds dangerous to me. I have had breathing problems just cleaning my outdoor coop and run. I wear a mask now anytime I clean. For your own good......look up lung diseases from Chickens. Then decide.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the poop is incredible. INCREDIBLE.

it's not the noise i would worry about.

4. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    The smell would be terrible. You would have to have a very powerful ventilation/ filtration system that would be more expensive than it would be worth. They stink very very bad.

5. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Not sure if thats a good idea. The smell would be horrible, not to mention the methane gas put off from the droppings. Even with a good daily cleaning would be tough at least. Maybe if you had 2 birds it might work. I have 5 chicks inside in the brooder, and clean their area daily, and they still smell. But if this is your only choice, good luck!!!

6. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I would build what they call a Garage coop. free running in the house is nasty. stepping in their poo and all. I know it's just a basement. my EE is pretty quiet.

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I brood in my basement, and kick them out when they really start to stink. I wouldn't want grown chickens pooping in my basement - phew. A breed like cornish is going to be eating more, growing faster, pooping more. Just something to think about...

8. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Question for you:

You said you are interested in Cornish X. So I assume you are just going to raise them for 8 weeks and ship them? The smell from that breed of chicken is incredible. What goes in must come out and they eat a lot! I would not advise to raise meat chickens in your basement.

I had a friend who started her meat chickens in the basement and the feathers and dust was amazing. The stuff made its way upstairs. She had 25 meat chickens too.

I don't know about have a few laying hens, I would defintily check out lung diseases from chickens, like the other post said.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  9. I would avoid it at al costs.

Sounds like you should go after one of those Union jobs...[​IMG]

10. Crush

Crush New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    Quote:I didn't know the smell would be that bad.

I dont see why I just can't have a coupe in my yard. It's big enough for lots of birds.

It's so unfair I can't do what I want in the privacy of my own home when it's hurting no one else [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by