chicken coop interior paint?

Oh, How I'm tired of painting!!
lol.png
BUT, you won't regret doing it. Primer and two coats of exterior (will last longer) semi-gloss.

Thank you all for the comments, we're starting to build our coop and it would be easier to paint before assembly ( I think )
smile.png
I never thought about caulking though so that's a must do as well. We are new chick owners as of last week so I really appreciate BYC and all of the great info.

I also painted the inside of my coop for the above mentioned reasons. But wanted to tell you what I did to save a little money. Since you and your chickens will be the only ones seeing the inside of the coop, does the color really matter? To me it didn't, so when I bought the paint for the outside I just bought what ever the store had marked down because it was "misstinted". The dark green isn't half bad, and 50% off was great.

I was told it kinda does matter:

A: kind = cleanability/scruba-bility
B: Color -- lighter helps reflect the natural sunlight in the coop for better egg production in winter...

We're working on building our first nesting boxes. My plan is to go with 5 gallon plastic pails turned on their sides resting in fixed plywood cradles . I'm interested to know if white pails wouldn't be a good idea because i'm hearing they prefer dark spaces. Would black or another colored pail be prefered to white? The coop is plenty bright with white marlite paneling all around.

Somebody was telling me about not painting with certain types of paint as the chickens will get I'll if it's toxic. Surely it'll be all fine and dandy once the coop has air dried and thepaint smell has disapaited??

Somebody was telling me about not painting with certain types of paint as the chickens will get I'll if it's toxic. Surely it'll be all fine and dandy once the coop has air dried and thepaint smell has disapaited??
Use low or no VOC (volatile organic compounds) paint, better for the environment, better for people and chickens. Even though it is for the interior of the coop, use one coat of exterior primer and 2 coats of satin exterior paint, then caulk the seams. Let the paint dry thoroughly before you put the chickens in the coop. Painting the interior is a pain, but it makes cleaning a breeze. Paint color can brighten the coop and darken the nest box.

Yea I get using low VOC paint for fumes etc, but even the heavy VOC ladened paints are bone dry within 3 days.

If im not planning to get chickens in for another few weeks (looks like after the winter now) does it matter any if any volities have flashed off in the first 72hours!?

Painted and caulked mine too.

Nest boxes too. I used a dark slate color left over from my kitchen painting. Pepper is checking out the new nest boxes here.

Home depot oops paint is like 9 dollars a gallon here. The inside coop color is a green that I mixed white primer with (mostly primer... the oops paint was a dark cow poo green). I painted the outside with the same paint color only I mixed it with white paint. Oops does not mean gross all the time. The outside shown here is the finished colors but not the finished coop.

Had a sudden downpour and had to plastic the roof and windows. What a pain that was. The trim color was another gallon of oops paint.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom