Chicken coop is very muddy! help please UPDATE

Quote:
HA HA HA HA . Locking them up in their COOP is NOT free ranging .

Free ranging is when they are allowed to RUN anywhere in your yard LOOSE .

You dont need to be rude. I know that. I meant I would lock them in their coop at night, and let them out during the day. I know what free ranging is.

Im not going to leave them out at night so they can be killed by raccoons.

Last edited:
Quote:
Assuming you are not using something toxic for gravel (and why would you), why on earth should that be a problem? It's not that they think it's grit -- it IS grit
tongue.png
They are *supposed* to eat it. They aren't going to O.D. on it any more than they do on your grit feeder
tongue.png

Sand or gravel would be the best solution to the o.p.'s problem (mixed size gravel, or even 'roadbase', will be the cheapest, and you're best off having some bulk delivered then wheelbarrowing it to the coop rather than paying premium prices for umpty little plastic bags). Put in at least 6".

Alternatively you could use largeish shredded bark or wood chips if you had no money for sand/gravel but a free source for the wood product. (DO NOT use shavings or finely-chipped wood products btw, they will just hold moisture and quickly become a horrible muck-swamp). The disadvantage of wood products is that even the coarse ones do decompose in time, which will create a horrible muck-swamp unless you shovel it all out (it'll be great for your garden though!) and replace it, *before* it gets to wet and fetid.

Also, roof gutters, redirecting downspouts, and some constructive trenching can often direct the water away so that it does not collect in the run area in the first place.

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Be very careful what is added in that run for chickens , crushed or very course gravel is really not a good idea . THEY will think its GRIT .
ITS already they eat the sand . LMAO BUT I do highly recommend 3 - 5 inches of sand . INFACT , we added about 3 inches 1 month of so ago , and WE ARE going to ADD more soon. I DO NOT WANT A MUDDY AREA FOR MY FLOCK , OR ME TO HAVE TO WALK THRU TO FEED /WATER/ AND PICK EGGS . MY COOP AND RUN ARE ATTACHED .

*sigh* what do you think grit is? coarse gravel is not going to hurt your chickens.

Well, I have been mucking out the run for about 1.5 hours.

Know I know why it is so muddy. The hay was about 1-2" thick, and then when it rained, the mud mixed with the hay, and the water couldnt seep into the ground, because the hay was thick.

So, after mucking out the muddy hay, the coop is alot drier. This weekend I think I am going to get a load of sand and gravel.

The run looks a lot better. I feel so stupid! lol.

Quote:
holy cats, that's a long muck! i'm glad that helped. good luck with further de-mudding. according to the forecast, we might have no rain 'til next week. (haha, i don't believe that!)

Quote:
holy cats, that's a long muck! i'm glad that helped. good luck with further de-mudding. according to the forecast, we might have no rain 'til next week. (haha, i don't believe that!)

I wish we didnt get rain for 2 weeks. This year, since it has been so damp, there are mushrooms growing all over the place. lol

The ducks are having a fun time with me mucking. lol. When I muck up the hay, there are some worms, so they pull them right out of the ground, and run around quacking. lol.

My heart goes out to you, we've had a very hot and humid summer too. The mushrooms are sprouting in the oddest places and my tomatoe plants are rotting to zilch...

Your girls will be far easier to maintain and the alterations will make life so much easier, once done! All the best...
cool.png

This may not be the correct fix for a chicken run, however I do this for my muddy areas. If you add a thick 4-6" of mulch you will get numerous benifits. Keeps you away from the mud, and more importantly, it will add organic matter to the clay,which is really the only good way to defeat clay. with the addition of organic matter the ability of the soil to drain is increased tremendously, plus as the mulch decomposes it will encourage lots of earthworms. this is really the best long term solution to fix soil drainage in clay soils.

Back
Top Bottom