Chicken Coop Lighting

Calima

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Pooler, Georgia
I am a newbie and I don't have a clue as to how to begin putting lighting in my very small chicken coop. I have no electricity wiring in my coop. I just
want to keep it as simple as possible. Please help! I would like to have a timer also!

Hi Calima,
Is the lighting so you can see while you're in there? We don't light our coop at night as this can lead to behavioral problems in the chickens...also hot lights can cause fires.
My suggestion, and it's a really easy one, is to use some of those battery operated LED lights that you can switch on or off as needed. I've seen them at Lowe's but I got a bunch really cheap at Costco.
Hope this helps and welcome to BYC!
jumpy.gif

Hi Calima,
Is the lighting so you can see while you're in there? We don't light our coop at night as this can lead to behavioral problems in the chickens...also hot lights can cause fires.
My suggestion, and it's a really easy one, is to use some of those battery operated LED lights that you can switch on or off as needed. I've seen them at Lowe's but I got a bunch really cheap at Costco.
Hope this helps and welcome to BYC!
jumpy.gif

X 2 - the "stick up" lights are great - our coop is in an unwired barn (it's actually our old tack/feed room) - I had a stick up light in there from the tack/feed days that I've just kept and use as needed. Half the time we don't even use it - we just carry a little battery operated lantern as it allows us to light our way to/from the barn and gives us light once we get there....the lantern is easier than a flashlight when it comes to needing to set it down and have it give off useable light while inside the coop doing whatever we're there to do.
ETA - I have never used supplemental lighting for production stimulation and don't use heat in my coops so the "for people" lighting is all I can speak on from experience.

Last edited:
The small led flashlights, lanterns are very useful too, We got some that light up in front to be flashlights, and/or light up in the middle and a hook comes out, so they can be used as trouble lights- they also have a magnetic back - very good for many purposes.

Back
Top Bottom