1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Coop material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChicksinBoise, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    I found somebody who is giving this playhouse away. It measures 8 x 10. I would have to go and disassemble it.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I think with a little TLC it would be great!

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Wow, if you've got a way to get it moved, I'd say go for it. The price is right.
    Maybe your kids (unfeathered) would want you to fix it up for them.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think it would be fantastic!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Go for it! Our coop is a restored playhouse too.

It wasn't as pretty as yours is already. My hubby tore off all the rotted cedar shakes and roofing and replaced some of the rotted plywood walls. It was SO much easier to just renovate something already constructed than to try to build a coop from scratch!

We had a guy with an excavating machine pick it up from a strap through its windows and put it onto a borrowed flatbed truck. That way we didn't have to disassemble it.

Our finished coop looks just like a brand new playhouse. The neighbors love it. It doesn't look like a coop at all.

Yours will be GREAT.

6. NeuseWorks

NeuseWorks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    That would be a great home for a flock with a bit of work. Can you get a truck up to it? I'd pay a flatbed tow truck to move it so I didn't have to take it apart.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That would be great!

8. thebifman

thebifman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Wow! That would make an excellent coop. Just add a chicken door, nests & roosts and you will have some lucky chickens! [​IMG]

Brian in NYC

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Quote:It's cute as a button, and would make an adorable coop.

But, getting it apart to transport will be a lot of work, with a lot of damage. Then there's the reassembly. By the time you get done, you'll be questioning your sanity.

10. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    Yeah, that is the question. Whether it is worth the trouble or ripping apart and putting back together. It depends on the age and condition of the wood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by