littlelizzy123

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
My Coop
My Coop
Hello All!

I am thinking about building a chicken coop in my yard, which is a bit of a mess, we moved in recently, and it is a disaster. We've been feverishly pulling out dead trees and bushes, building garden beds, repairing fences, etc. I have developed a very close relationship with the people at the landscaping store and the city dump.

I have a few places to put the coop, but I'm wondering, if my yard was your yard, where would you put it? I am wanting 4-6 hens, no rooster, as it is not legal here. I am looking at the much-loved Wichita Cabin Coop, but am open to others. The chickens would have the full run of the grassed yard, and the garden with the gravel would be fenced off. I know I will have to fence off any new plantings until they are established, which is easily done. Here are the candidates:

1. The Nosy Neighbor Coop.
This South fence has many merits, it is out of the way, partially shaded by a plum tree. However, that fence it would be running along is our neighbors fence. They are nosy and bothersome (they just walk unannounced into in the yard sometimes!!!) but not bad people. I think they are just bored and want to see what improvements we are making, so they can keep up with the Bohnens. This coop would measure about 16'x3'. That is right up against the fence and the asphalt driveway limits the width. It would be shaded a bit by the plum tree, but I would have to herd the chickens into the grassed yard to forage.

2. The Garden Coop
Hubsters and I were going to make a garden bed here, with a picket fence in the middle, but now I'm wondering if it isn't a pretty good place for a coop. It would be shaded by the ash tree on the right, and could be a lot larger than all of the other places. Also, it is away from fences. The girls could have the run of the (sort-of) grassed yard.
This spot could measure 6' wide, with almost 20' in length.

3. The Deck Coop
This deck is going to be replaced within the next 2 years (Goodness I hope so! None of those 2x4s actually hold it up!) The deck is actually roofed on top. I could put the coop in front of the deck, where the Woogie-dog is standing. This space would measure about 10x4.

4. The Pea Coop
This garden bed was built just this year. I have peas, onions, and celery planted here, but they can move just as easily. This fence is our own fence, the coop would be on the east side of the fence. These other neighbors are pretty excited for us to get chickens, as we would give them any extra eggs. There will be a picket fence separating the gravel from the grass, (where that funny post is) and the exit hatch could be on the end by the pine tree. This coop would measure 14x4.

This chickens will have the run of a grassed yard. We don't run about barefoot (Black widows, brown recluses, and pooping dogs live here) Winters are cold, but usually dry, with the snow melting completely inside a week. We get a ton of sunlight all year round, and a foggy day is a rarity. I would not be using lamps in the winter, and if the girls don't lay, that is ok. :) What do you all think? Where would you put it?

1st choice for me would be the deck but I would put the coop under the deck and use that space as the run, handy being so close to the house for maintaining and electric if necessary. 2nd choice would be the garden coop nice spot and away from nosey neighbors, plenty of room to do the witchata coop with a nice big run.

1st choice for me would be the deck but I would put the coop under the deck and use that space as the run, handy being so close to the house for maintaining and electric if necessary. 2nd choice would be the garden coop nice spot and away from nosey neighbors, plenty of room to do the witchata coop with a nice big run.
I second this. Deck, then garden would be my options.

Check your local code. Some areas don't allow coops near a dwelling and some don't allow the coop to be within x" of a property line. Every city is a bit different.

In that case I would build the Pea coop.
1. The neighbors on that side share your enthusiasm for raising chickens and would probably be less likely to complain.
2. A short haul to the garden from your personal fertilizer factory.

You all have helped me mountains. I have decided...

*Dun-dun-na-dah!*

on the Garden Coop!

Close enough to the house, far enough from the fences, close enough to the compost, and shaded by a tree!
Also, I realized the ones against fences are going to be a bear to build and maintain on the fence side...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom