Chicken Coop Plans from Woodshop Mike

TerrorMoon

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Hardy, VA
Hey everybody! Finally broke down & purchased the plans from Woodshop Mike to build this beautiful coop. I was wondering if anybody else had built this one & had any money saving tips/tricks or even recommendations. I hope to start purchasing the supplies within the next week or so.

https://woodshopmike.com/how-to-make-diy-chicken-coop/

There's the link if anybody else is interested in building this beauty :love

Attachments

• Painted-Chicken-Coop-ShelbyRaePhotographs.jpg
    Painted-Chicken-Coop-ShelbyRaePhotographs.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 80
The coop is well constructed.
The attached run is too small though. I'd increase the size to at least 150 sq ft.
I'd lengthen the rafters to increase overhang and leave the soffits open and backed by hardware cloth, install a ridge vent and the largest gable vents on each end that you can. Also backed with hardware cloth.
Sorry none of my suggestions are lowering the price.

The coop is well constructed.
The attached run is too small though. I'd increase the size to at least 150 sq ft.
I'd lengthen the rafters to increase overhang and leave the soffits open and backed by hardware cloth, install a ridge vent and the largest gable vents on each end that you can. Also backed with hardware cloth.

You're fine, as long as it benefits my flock. I'm also planning on rotating the coop so the rain falls off the sides instead of into the run. Going to utilize tin/metal for the roof as well since shingles fall apart after so long.

To be fair I doubt they'd really add much to the budget overall... and to @TerrorMoon, they're all worthy additions :)

If you are handy (and you don't need to be a master craftsman), gable vents can be shop/site built out of scraps - so no purchase may even be required.

ETA, if you are going to rotate the roof pitch the gables are on the sides, I'd suggest framing out the run for a "roof" just to future proof it - you might not want it covered now, but then you wouldn't need to redesign anything to add a roof later (and you could cover it in HC if you preferred for now).

You're fine, as long as it benefits my flock. I'm also planning on rotating the coop so the rain falls off the sides instead of into the run. Going to utilize tin/metal for the roof as well since shingles fall apart after so long.
The problem with tin roofs is condensation in the winter. Consider Ondura or Polycarbonate.
I shingled my roof and my run. I'm pretty sure they'll outlast me.

My only question to OP has been addressed. I saw you were in VA and was shaking my head saying "Where is all the ventilation" yall get sticky hot in high summer and miserably cold in winter on the eastern seaboard.

I thoughttttt I had done enough research and have now realized, I HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH!! I'm eager to get started on a new home for my ladies. I've been looking at a bunch of different ideas now, looking for ways to allow better ventilation and trying to not feel like a total idiot. It's my first time building anything (an experienced friend is helping me) but I still don't feel prepared

I thoughttttt I had done enough research and have now realized, I HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH!! I'm eager to get started on a new home for my ladies. I've been looking at a bunch of different ideas now, looking for ways to allow better ventilation and trying to not feel like a total idiot. It's my first time building anything (an experienced friend is helping me) but I still don't feel prepared
If you build it before placing your chicken order you will be totally prepared. I ordered my first chicken with brooding as my only plan and as a result received a completely dandered up house and daily pasty butt battles because who needs a 250w light bulb to keep a birds environment snuggly warm in spring in Miami basically. I would research the MHP(basically a 13 buck Walmart heat pad without a timer cutoff wrapped around or under anything you like that isn't flammable) as chicken do a great job regulating their temperatures as long as they can escape from the heat lamp itself. This tip alone turns a 250W task into a 20-40w task.

If you build it before placing your chicken order you will be totally prepared. I ordered my first chicken with brooding as my only plan and as a result received a completely dandered up house and daily pasty butt battles because who needs a 250w light bulb to keep a birds environment snuggly warm in spring in Miami basically. I would research the MHP(basically a 13 buck Walmart heat pad without a timer cutoff wrapped around or under anything you like that isn't flammable) as chicken do a great job regulating their temperatures as long as they can escape from the heat lamp itself. This tip alone turns a 250W task into a 20-40w task.

I currently have 3 hens, a roo & 2 chicks that are living in 2 prefab coops! Chicks are in the smallest & the hens & roo are in the larger of the 2. Everybody fits perfectly with plenty of space where they are, looking to build something that's long lasting, sturdy & allows me to walk inside of the coop to clean. Everybody free ranges during the day but I still want a run for the winter time if/when it snows.

Back
Top Bottom